A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a 2d image 3d

Making a 2d image 3d

I have a logo I want to make into a thin 3d shape. Just like it is but add depth and I wanna animate it. How can I do this via swift or if you can't, lightwave 7?

go here for one tutorial.

since you've never said what type of file your logo is. you can trace bitmap in flash, then export *.eps, import *.eps into swift3D, and then extrude.

be more specific.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Sorry, its a .png. It can be made into anything bitmap type, but not any vectors. I tried it, takes like 20 minutes to friggin import into swift and looks like butt even when I adjusted the settings alot cause it has qualities bitmap type need.

I had the same problem. I would look at the tutorial listed above. It is a well done walkthrough on how to trace an object in flash and import to Swift. The result is very nice.
    I could've been the Walrus, but I'd still have to bum a ride to school - Ferris Beuhler

Originally posted by geekmedic
    I had the same problem. I would look at the tutorial listed above. It is a well done walkthrough on how to trace an object in flash and import to Swift. The result is very nice.
    Thats because the object in the tutorials is extremely simple with some colors, any monkey can turn that into vector and import it. Even when mine doesn't look bad, once I load it into swift, it looks like utter ass. For some reason, swift likes to make tons of lines and 2 huge bars voer the pictures that don't exist on my export.

I guess I'll have to try this with lightwave.

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    Why not link your png file on here and let us see what is causing you to dump on others who are trying to help?

ditto what nitrocharged said. link the *.png.

Originally posted by NitroCharged
    Why not link your png file on here and let us see what is causing you to dump on others who are trying to help?
    I'm not trying to dump on others, but I wanna use the image itself and not convert it like I've said before. It isn't just a couple of colors, it has fades and gradients and transparerncies. I've psoted the image here before but don't see a reason to this time, all I want to do is take a bitmap image and import it into a 3d program (swift or lightwave) so I can rotate it.

Well, the reason I asked you to up the image is that lately you have asked such questions as:
    how do I move a camera?
    how do I make a hollow cylinder?
    how do I make a hollow square?

and most recently.. how do I make a 2d image 3d and rotate it in Swift?

So my perception is that you have still a few tricks to learn about Swif.t3D.
    I did a search and I dont see a post of late from you that had any image attached to it ( unless I missed it or didn't go back far enough ).
    By showing us the image, we can determine with more accuracy as to whether it would work or not. Most of the time - users here actually do most of the legwork for peeps needing help and link files when done.

By showing us the image, we can determine with more accuracy as to whether it would work or not. Most of the time - users here actually do most of the legwork for peeps needing help and link files when done.
    But I don't want people to do it for me, then I never learn. I wanna do it myself, just maybe a push in the right direction, tutorials, or a simple explination.

then be more explicit. saying something is complex, and no indication or even comparison of what you're talking about makes it hard to help you with better information.

i think he wants to apply the bitmap to an extrusion that matches the outline of the bitmap. kinna like savant's butterfly wings. it just occures to me that nitro's stop watch tutorial would be perfect for this. i think you can find it over at erain's tutorial section.
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 04-29-2003 at 05:57 AM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I believe .png is a photoshop file. You can easly save it as another type such as bitmap and keep the gradients, fades, and transparencies... all you have to do is go to file>>save for web and then enter the correct options and it will save the bitmap just as good, just not nearly as big and alot nicer to swift.
    Denver IV

Swift is the Ultimate Digital Drug

Originally posted by denveriv
    I believe .png is a photoshop file. You can easly save it as another type such as bitmap and keep the gradients, fades, and transparencies... all you have to do is go to file>>save for web and then enter the correct options and it will save the bitmap just as good, just not nearly as big and alot nicer to swift.
    .psd is a photoshop file. .png is a regular picture file similar to jpeg but can have advanced animations and transparencys which look better than gif and still pictures look way better than jpegs and its about the same size.

*.png's are not animated. they do have transparency and alpha.

Originally posted by gerbick
    yes and no.

most don't have animation, but you CAN make them animated. Since GIF has very bad transparency support, png animation looks very good. Much like a small version of flash.

Originally posted by gerbick
    yes and no.

most don't have animation, but you CAN make them animated. Since GIF has very bad transparency support, png animation looks very good. Much like a small version of flash.

All this info and still none of us has a freakin' clue what it is you want to do yet???!!!

animated PNG's are called MNG's.

you can check that out here or at W3C.org.

now, you've asked a question, yet provided zero information about what exactly you want accomplish other than a vague attempt at explaining that you want to take some 2D something and make it 3D. it's more complex than... um, something, and no tutorial to date is helpful enough for you.

also, you've not given any other details, other than basically refute or attack anybody that's attempted to help.

plain and simple. what exactly do you want to do - state it in detail please - or have you already acheieved what you want? Have you consulted the manual, or at least searched the forum here to make sure that it's not been answered in the past?

if you want help, you have to be more explicit. Otherwise, it's a guessing game.

Re: Making a 2d image 3d

All this info and still none of us has a freakin' clue what it is you want to do yet???!!!
    Originally posted by BlinkOk
    i think he wants to apply the bitmap to an extrusion that matches the outline of the bitmap. kinna like savant's butterfly wings. it just occures to me that nitro's stop watch tutorial would be perfect for this. i think you can find it over at erain's tutorial section.
    Originally posted by kasracer
    I have a logo I want to make into a thin 3d shape. Just like it is but add depth and I wanna animate it. How can I do this via swift or if you can't, lightwave 7?
    Reading... its fundamental