A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking to buy a new television, request opinions

Looking to buy a new television, request opinions

I am looking to buy a 40 inch Sony Wega Trinitron HDTV Ready television in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to gain some feedback on the different direct view television my FK buddies might have.

Sony Direct View TV's

nice line... I have a 36" WEGA myself... thinking of going to plasma or LCD next though.

dude, check out the Samsung Tantus line... they're AWESOME! And I've never even considered them until I saw them yesterday. :drool:

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    nice line... I have a 36" WEGA myself... thinking of going to plasma or LCD next though.

dude, check out the Samsung Tantus line... they're AWESOME! And I've never even considered them until I saw them yesterday. :drool:
    Are they affordable though, that's the question...[looking now]

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    I've noticed a lot and I mean "A LOT" of Tv shows lately have began broadcasting in widescreen. Now since I hate the black bars on the top and bottom of my screen, I'd go for a TV that can get rid of them.

We have a 28" Sony Wega 100Hz. Very good, and I am impressed. I have used a mates JVC and it just doesn't match up. For example, one of the modes on a Sony widescreen is "smart" which takes a 4:3 picture, makes it bigger and chops a bit off the top and bottom - you don't miss much at all. But the only way to watch 4:3 on the JVC is either strech it or to have two fat big lines down the sides.

Good point flipshark. I am looking at the widescreens available as well. I really only watch movies and sports, so widescreen may indeed be the way to go.

Originally posted by asheep_uk
    We have a 28" Sony Wega 100Hz. Very good, and I am impressed. I have used a mates JVC and it just doesn't match up. For example, one of the modes on a Sony widescreen is "smart" which takes a 4:3 picture, makes it bigger and chops a bit off the top and bottom - you don't miss much at all. But the only way to watch 4:3 on the JVC is either strech it or to have two fat big lines down the sides.
    Precisely why I am looking at Sony only. Welcome back Sheep, haven't had the chance to yet.

Hey GD, go to Pro Video on Wisconson Ave. just north of Georgetown. Nice selection of HD TV's and they'll give you a good deal. I've bought all my cameras from them for years. Good people.

Originally posted by Visionray
    Hey GD, go to Pro Video on Wisconson Ave. just north of Georgetown. Nice selection of HD TV's and they'll give you a good deal. I've bought all my cameras from them for years. Good people.
    I will V.R., thanks. Have you purchased any HDTV's from them there? I'd be interested in what type of savings they can give me for an actual HDTV, and not one that is just HDTV-ready.

For years, I have bought my high-end equipment at Myer-Emco in Bailey's Crossroads, but their televisions are just too much money for me.

I've never purchased an HDTV from them, just 4 cameras. They have them there though, as well as the flat screens of all sizes. I've always wanted one of their TV's though, but I've never found those TV's to be worth the cost...not right now at least. Besides I don't watch much TV. So I'm not sure what they can offer you, but you might want to look them up in the yellow pages and give them a call. The thing I like about them is that they told me to take my cameras back to them if something went wrong, and they'll take care of it immediatley instead of sending it back to the manufacturor to get repaired.

damn dude are you still movin to new york? maybe you should wait to make sure you can fit a forty inch tv into your apartment up there or see how many flights of stairs you'll have to carry that monster....i just got a regular sony wega 32 just two weeks ago and i'm fine with that...

Originally posted by Visionray
    The thing I like about them is that they told me to take my cameras back to them if something went wrong, and they'll take care of it immediatley instead of sending it back to the manufacturor to get repaired.
    I wonder if it works the same way with the TV's. That would be very cool.

Originally posted by erova
    damn dude are you still movin to new york? maybe you should wait to make sure you can fit a forty inch tv into your apartment up there or see how many flights of stairs you'll have to carry that monster....i just got a regular sony wega 32 just two weeks ago and i'm fine with that...
    I am still planning to move at some point (when job market gets better) so do have to take that into account, thanks Erova. I am actually down to a 36" at this point. No, I'm just weighing pros and cons of having widescreen vs. having standard. Anyone have any experience with widescreen Hi Scan televisions?