dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bent Gradients

Ancient Member

Bent Gradients

I'm trying to put together flash movie that will contain many Balloons like the following

Since all are virtually identical not only in shape, but also in shading, rather than filling my movie with the bloated weight of many .jpg's I was trying to make all of the images vectors. Doing the gradient for the center of each balloon is easy. and I've been able to block out an area for the highlights on either side, but is there any way of making a gradient that follows the curved path?

This movie would literally have 100+ different colors of these balloons so size and simplicity is of the utmost importance. The only thing I could think of was to break each "curve" into several smaller gradiated sections and do narrowly shaped ovils in them, Any other easier deas?

For the edge hilites, try making a radial gradient fill similar to the center one, but bigger and use a center color in the 'Color Mixer' panel and make it's alpha = 0. Once you get it close, you can reshape the fill by dragging on the edges or use the fill transform tool.

Ancient Member
    Thanks for the reply. I tried it, but couldn't figure out how to "smooth" out the top and bottom of the curve. I was trying to just simply do an all white/alpha gradient on a second layer that I could just lay over each Balloon color.

I seem to have something close by just drawing a curve, then using soften edges. It created a ton of edges, and'll probably run more slowly than your solution but it looks closer to the original. If I can get the ends of the curves of your solution to look better it'd prolly be the better way.

Thanks again for the suggestion
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Hans-Peter Geerdes