dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Drawing Techniques

Drawing Techniques

I recently bought a book to improve my drawing skills called the Fundamentals of Drawing. In there, it says that you should hold your pencil like as if ur holding a stick and not like you would hold a pen (see pic below).

Now, my qst is - is this how all artists do it??

I find that holding the pencil like a pen works good for me cos i draw straighter lines and am a bit shaky when i hold it like a stick - although i try to change my habits to the way they mentioned.

Are there any big disadvantages to the pen technique or will i improve over time?

Thanx in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ()""()
    ( )
    ()""()

hard to agree

I don't think that there should be a way to hold a pencil on the first place. Also, the way it's shown on your picture would give you more freedom and a better feeling of space, but it wouldn't be convenient for more precise drawing. The reason for that is: when you hold the pencil as a pen you manipulate it with your fingers; when you hold it like on the picture you control it with your shoulder, especialy when you try to move it horizontaly. But it gives you a better over view, and maybe some extra freedom...

That was my opinion.

Here are some of my old pen&pencil drawings if you would like to see how I draw:

http://svetko.spectrumdreams.com/galery1.htm

http://svetko.spectrumdreams.com/galery2.htm

That's exactly what i experienced when i try switcing between the two - it does give u a broader view of things. I also like ur drawings very much . So did u use the "pen" technique or "stick" technique or both??
    ()""()
    ( )
    ()""()

"pen" technique

"pen" technique - only and always!

do you have any drawing of yours scanned?

i'm glad you liked mine..
    here is my first drawing on a drawing tablet - even i was surprised how good it came out..

tablet girl

nice drawings svetko.

I was thinking of starting a thread similiar to this recently, curious to know who draws alot by hand. Sitting at work I try and sketch alot during the day, I do alot of cubist stuff, just random ideas, architectural elements and such, site ideas, artwork ideas.

I couldn't see drawing with that stick method pictured. I'm surprised to see something reccomended other than the pen way.
    Sometimes depending on what you're drawing with you would adjust the vertical nature of the pen/pencil more, but that's about it. In Architecture school we used certain pens that had to be held straight vertical to apply the ink the right way.

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

Pen technique it is then

Sorry svetko, don't have any pictures scanned yet as i'm only starting out - doing the usuall practice sketches - nothing as impressive as yours - but once i'm confident i will submit one for review - promise..
    ()""()
    ( )
    ()""()

ok. ill try to explain. im a fine arts student so i know what im talking about :P there is no correct way of getting a pencil or pen or brush or whatever. you should search for the most comfortable way, or the one which you feel more confident with.

it is true that to sketch or draw on a high scale that is 100x70 cm canvas upwards, the "stick" method is much easier and comfortable, providing loose strokes. the thing is that when you draw stick-like you're normally sketching a light and shadow composition (typical fine-art 'ciaroscuro'), whereas using the "pen" mode gives a finer line (toon-comic like).

explanatory image attached

i think u should do what comes naturally to you

i have been and done illustration at college (long time ago) and no one ever said "hold this like this"

your style will appear from what u are and how u do things, we did lots of experimental stuff like drawing with twigs painting with blocks of wood, and i learnt alot

"if u get 20 people in one room, u give them all the same size canvas, the same sized brush and the same colour paint, they will all paint the canvas in a different way"

u have to try stuff out, read books (thts good) but dont take everything as gospel

i used to take sketch books round with me (still do sometimes) and draw ppl on the bus in the pub etc

the more u draw the better u will get

and another golden rule "draw what u see not what u know"

also try different pens and pencils there are loads quite inexpensive tools out there (brush pens, HB - EE pencils) i quite like good ballpoint pen (u cant rub it out) changes the way u feel when u draw

hope this helps
    bp

ps nice work svetko

bp

thanks Black_phoenix, good input too!