A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anti-aliasing shickwave 3d

Anti-aliasing shickwave 3d

does shockwave 3d support antialiasing??? i tried searching through the help files but there is no mention of anti-aliasing of shockwave 3d. if its possible, can someone please tell me how its done. thanks in advance.

anti-aliasing vector, or bitmaps?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i made a model in plasma, then i exported it as .w3d. when i imported it to director, the lines looked very jagged.
    i presume that anti-aliasing wasnt turned on. please correct me if i am wrong.

the models are mostly rendered as smoothly as possible. true AA (anti-aliasing) is not really a switch within Shockwave3D, but it can be faked. There's been examples of that (faked AA) over at www.setpixel.com.

but it should look as smooth as possible. I've had some low poly stuff look jagged when I preview within the program. publish and view via the browser.

I'll keep looking though. I just don't, from memory and a quick seach into the Lingo3D additions to 8.5/MX - like some 300+ lingo additions - and I can't find an AA command.

thanks gerbick. i will check out the link that u gave.

antialias

To my knowledge you cannot anti-alias 3d objects in real time...too processor and redraw intensive...If you have ever seen such a thing ANYWHERE !EVER ! ..I for one would be keen to see it.

OpenGL and DirectX 8.0 and higher have routines where real-time anti-aliasing is very possible. Ol' school ray-casting engines did not have that, but newer iterations of hardware and software allow it.

The shockwave I was talking about earlier is faked though.

It's my understanding that shockwave 3d is reliant upon openGL + hardware support, so it's up to the card and opengl display settings of the end user... (I very well could be wrong)

here is a snippet from: http://www.opengl.org/news/archives01/apr01.html

-----------------------------------------
    Macromedia Shockwave 8.5 brings OpenGL-accelerated 3D to the mainstream web
    04/10/01 Macromedia has announced their OpenGL-accelerated 3D Shockwave solution for the web. Director 8.5 lets you author complete 3D worlds and games using the Lingo programming language. The free, OpenGL-accelerated 3D-enhanced Shockwave Player brings these bandwidth-friendly, interactive games, entertainment, education, and online shopping to millions of Windows and Macintosh users (over 60% of Internet users have Shockwave installed). You can check out the free public beta
    -----------------------------------------

your output settings in plasma might need some adjusting too...
    losts to tweak there...