A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hybrid CD with SHARED CONTENT

Hybrid View

hybrid CD with SHARED CONTENT

Hi folks-

I'm on a MAC running OSX trying to burn a hybrid CD [WITH SHARED CONTENT] using Toast Titamium.

I've read the FAQ over and over for stand-alone apps and I've still found some problems.

So basically I understand I need my hybrid setup like this...

-------
    1) My PC files are prepared as:
    (a) In root directory: autorun.inf, icon.ico, begin.exe
    (b) Once begin.exe is run, it needs to open files in /support/

2) Using Disk Copy, I make a MAC Image containing:
    (a) begin (PROJECTOR FILE), .volumeicon.icns
    (b) Once begin is run, it needs to open files in /support/

3) Support folder: Everything else is shared between MAC/PC.
    I understand I need to make a temporary partition to contain the shared files, but every time I try in Toast (utilities/create temp part...) it gives the following error:
    "Couldn't complete the last command because of a MAC OS error. Result code: -50"
    So what am I doing wrong? I've gone to Apple's site without success. I need this shared folder accessible on MAC/PC because the content is too large to be duplicated on both sides.
    -------

And by the way, my autorun.inf file doesn't work. Any suggestions? It says:
    [autorun]
    start=BEGIN.EXE
    icon=ICON.ICO

Related forum:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ighlight=icons

Any help is much appreciated!

grace and peace-
    paul

You've already created the temporary partition by making the disk image in Disk Copy.

Just drag the files you want to share on there (the support folder), and add the mounted disk image as the Mac partition.

Next, set up the PC partition and drag the support folder from the mounted Mac disk image. Because you've already added the files in the support folder to the Mac side of the disk, dragging the same files into the PC section means they are shared.

If you're not using BBEdit or some other text editor that supports PC/DOS line breaks, the file won't be read properly by the PC. You need to make sure that each line ends in a Carriage Return Line Feed combination; the easiest way to do this is either write the autorun.inf file on a PC or use BBEdit to save it as a PC line-breaked document.
    Sam

On a similar note (problem)-moderator

I'm burning CD's of .swf/.html pages with a auto run feature and they don't open up in the brouser on Macs, not even if you go in and clik on the html file. Is Mac toast the only way to become compatable because Toast is around $300.00 US .

www.roxio.com
    Toast is $99

Autorun only works on applications, you should use the Applescript in the FAQ under the question about opening documents from a projector to make an application to open the first html file. Then choose the applescript app you create as the file to autorun.
    Sam

Applescript, I couldn't find it, Is it in the Macintosh, FAQ? Also, now that I'm confused, do I still need Mac Toast?

You need Toast or another cd burning application to make the actual cd whatever you do.

Once you have a cd burning application that can create a cd with autorun capapblities, then you'll find that you cannot make a document autorun, only applications can be autorun from a cd.

Therefore you need to create a very small application to open the document you'd like opened when the cd autoruns.
    You can find the instructions on how to make this application here (ignore all the stuff regarding fscommand).

Then, when burning the cd you will use the application you created as the target for the autorun.
    Sam

I'm working on a PC right, and I can auto run my .swf/.html page (it's a portfolio CD with pictures and text that I can hand out to galleries)and it opens in a browser. I'm assuming that you are refering to the Mac-world when you are saying that I need an aplication to open the page on a Macintosh. Your instructions are for doing this process on a Macintosh mostly. Do you know where else I might get some more info on this. Unfortunately I'm a PC user trying to make this thing work in both worlds, Thanks for your Mac input.

John

Ah, you should have said you were on a PC.
    You need to use CDEverywhere to make a hybrid cd, but unfotunately there isn't really a way for you to make the cd autorun as you can't write applescript on PCs.
    You don't need (and can't use) Toast if you're on a PC.

www.cdeverywhere.com
    Sam