A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: > [Inspiration eXchange] thread >

> [Inspiration eXchange] thread >

I'm interested in discussing this with other designers and share ideas and tips if possible.

How many of you seek inspiration in video games ? or films and photography for instance ?

The designers and creative directors I worked with previously felt that video games were interesting (sociological cultural significance) and fun .... sthg to do to unwind between jobs but considered them nothing more but frivolous popular culture.

When it came to work, they'd go back to the graphics manuals and the 'masters' books and their legacy to seek inspiration and ideas.
    I wonder how many know that successful video games drew from fine art and the masters in the first place to create the amazing worlds we know and immmerse ourselves in today when we hit 'Enter'.The makers of PS2 Rez were inspired by the art and writings of Kandinsky !
    I'd love to see what you think and even maybe what 'routines' you may have as part of your creative process.

Feel free to share artwork, links, fave imagery and sketches

Ill post some here shortly.

-a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    nice! As for the games, I already posted once in the typography thread, one college project image, a knitwear collection called "Softwear" inspired in pac-man ( http://temp.no.sapo.pt/softwear.jpg ). I also pick up as a favourite theme/inspiration many things related to fashion and lifestyle (I'm taking a degree, so that pretty explains it ). And in fashion, I get inspiration for everything you can think of, since it's a very strong social phenomena in our culture, and always reflects the needs and desires we currently have. Ppl may not be aware of this, but the way we dress, think and behave, it's always due for some cultural, economic, religion or even scientific status in current time. I also have a particular empathy towards music, and even a more special one with the eighties.
    I'm so fashion, everytime I fart, Prada releases a new fragance!

herr_dada with work like i'm still waiting for your site....as I've mentioned before I like your style.

As for inspiration I only have to look at guy's like the one i've just mentioned (don't you go getting a big head now), apart from that, music! i'm a big Jean Michel Jarre fan along with Tangerine dream & Mike Oldfield, just listening to any of them can get me going.

I havent got the time right now, and my page is currently on standby (getting some time now for PS battles, since i think it's a very good learning experience) and I started college today, being the last year from the degree I expect to get loads of work, specially, when it comes the time to make the final degree presentation (a fashion show). But here's another teaser for you, from a sort of battle going on in WH foruns, which the theme is an image for each decade of the 20th century, http://temp.no.sapo.pt/style02.jpg

Mr

i find 99% of my inspiration in movie titling!!!!
    (odd since is suck with typography!)

seen se7en or the panic room?
    even the blair witch!!!

really cool stuff!!!!

that's what i want to study next!!!!

anyone know what programs or how they do professsional video titling?
    PLZ dont tell me adobe after effects!!!!
    if you haven't seen the cinemetography in these filx, you SHOULD!!!

LOL! I love those cheesy B series movies! Love Ed Wood, and those movies like "The Attack of..."

Originally posted by herr_dada
    I havent got the time right now, and my page is currently on standby (getting some time now for PS battles, since i think it's a very good learning experience) and I started college today, being the last year from the degree I expect to get loads of work, specially, when it comes the time to make the final degree presentation (a fashion show). But here's another teaser for you, from a sort of battle going on in WH foruns, which the theme is an image for each decade of the 20th century, http://temp.no.sapo.pt/style02.jpg

You are such a tease

Re: Mr

Originally posted by jasonpratt
    i find 99% of my inspiration in movie titling!!!!
    (odd since is suck with typography!)

seen se7en or the panic room?
    even the blair witch!!!

really cool stuff!!!!

that's what i want to study next!!!!

anyone know what programs or how they do professsional video titling?
    PLZ dont tell me adobe after effects!!!!
    if you haven't seen the cinemetography in these filx, you SHOULD!!!
    ah yes - Kyle Cooper. I love his stuff.
    I'd add the Gattaca opening title sequence as well to the list above!

take a look at this interview: http://www.talentdevelop.com/kcooper.html
    "When we do a title, if there's footage available, we try to work with that, and add graphics, but a lot of the time, we shoot our own footage." With respect to the technology, he says they use Alias and SoftImage on Silicon Graphics workstations, and also have two Inferno digital compositing machines plus a number of Macs, and create animation using After Effects.
    a

Originally posted by herr_dada
    LOL! I love those cheesy B series movies! Love Ed Wood, and those movies like "The Attack of..."
    i like some of the Bond sequences (we all have a week spot lol) !

and also the stuff Marlene McCarty has done (Ice Storm, Velvet Goldmine) and Randy Balsmeyer (Magnolia, Jungle Fever)

a

as for music, I have 3 fetish bands: The B-52's, Deee-Lite and an eighties pop portuguese band called Mler Ife Dada (in case you are wondering, yes, is one of the reasons of my nick name, also due to the Dadaism art movement). And right about now I'm having another big "crush": Sophie Ellis-Bextor!! She's beautiful, witty, writes her own lyrics, great videos, great music, and I love that ***** atitude (probably this will be censored, but what the heck!).

Mr

he didn't say after effects did he?!!!!
    COL (crying out loud!)

WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really don't want to putz around with that ine... maybe it will be easy after learning premier...?
    alias seems cool...
    bah!
    im barking up a tree i don't like already!!!!GRRRRRRRRrrrrr....

Alot of my inspiration comes from just going out and taking pictures. I find it really hard to make cool graphics from scratch. Taking pictures is alot easier for me. After I take the pictures and deciede to manipulate them, I goto places like Designmarathon.com or the [Pictures eXchange thread]. Movies help too. I liked the intro for Stealing Harvard. I thought it was very inspirational.

My insperations are music and looking at what other ppl have done.

this helps me learn alot too since im knew too this stuff, I also like too do searches for top 100 flashsites and look at the great work out there

But being on FK gives me alot of insperation too, like being able too c other ppl have the same questions and stuff that helps alot!

Keep it up guys

BlueSamurai

Todays specail= chocolate coverd 's with mocha sprinkles

Originally posted by BlueSamurai

Todays specail= chocolate coverd 's with mocha sprinkles
    I just finished baking chocolate brownies with white chocolate chip, caramel and nuts - anyone want some ?

a

I want some .......I like anything chocolate covered

BlueSamurai

Todays special chocolate fugecicales lmao

Let me get some of those brownies. Just email them right over.

I used to get inspiration from high-tec 3d-ish sites and images but I've kind of shifted my style. Ever since I got into photography this year, I've been inspired by more simplistic designs. I want to re-design my site something like this one: http://www.atriscape.de/. There are just too many sites out there that are overly-flashy and I want to steer away from that. I'd rather have a site that has an emotional impact like www.aleart.net.

I also get inspiration from movies and cinematography. Something that I usually take note of are DVD menu layouts. They are pretty much the same concept as a web site and they incorporate music into the feel of the design.

I am pretty much addicted to making music now so I always think about how the music and site will evoke emotion. I tend to lean towards the darker side of design since it seems to work with my music style a little better. I may change that though.

When i go to the cinema, and i see a THX animation or a Movie Trailer ... my mind always thinks "How to bring that to the web, how to make it better" ... movies, games, music are very important factors that inspire me alot. I have grown up with video games, movies from an very early age ... and i can actually visualise an entire world.. a web-site or an presentation just by listening to a song. I don't do sketches on paper... all drawings, ideas are drawn in flash cause i like the quick access to the easy tools.

I've always been inspired by design based on kids culture, your sub grade 8 stuff. A lot of Mambo (www.mambo.com.au) stuff seems to be straight off the doodles on the back page of a kids textbook. Tim Burton's stuff (I saw some models by him at a comic festival recently) and his movies are always left field even if the theme is common place. Classic design is cool too. I saw a doco on Jorn Utzon (The guy who designed the Sydney Opera House) a while back, this man is a genius!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

2 + 2 = 5
    I went onto the trampoline the other day. I had a lot of creative issues on my mind regarding a portfolio design for school. The warm spring weather, and the wonderful sensation of bouncing on the tramp eased my mind. I was over-whelmed by "creative expressions." I got a pencil and paper and just started scetching my thoughts. I went through with my portfolio and got a 100%. My teacher never gives 100 percents.

Please excuse my totally nerdy story, but I have not been able to get it out of my mind. I am sure that you guys will understand. Besides I want to see this thread come alvie again.

dc

[size=1]Peace out fk. Thanks for all the good times .