A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: e-commerce site

e-commerce site

I know we do not like to discuss dollar figures in here about projects, but I would like to run this by everyone. I have a potential client who wants a e-commerce site that will have approximately 14 categories, 20 sub-categories, and 500 products. They also want these pages; about us, contact us form, quote form, news page. They want us to get all of the information about the categories & products from their existing site by copying & pasting the descriptions, pictures, prices, etc..into the new site. They also want their logo redesigned. I think I have listed most of the requirements except that they also want it done in one week! Now all I want to know is a ballpark figure of how much you think I should have quoted them? I will tell you how much I did and what their response was a little later. I appreciate your input! Thanks TC

$1,200
    Who gives a flying Flip.

Originally posted by EllisStudios
    $1,200

....only if you are some sort of masochist.

$1,200 is good for me.
    Who gives a flying Flip.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Originally posted by EllisStudios
    $1,200 is good for me.

I'd do it for a bologna sandwich and a sixer of of coors silver bullets if I;

a)didn't value my sanity
    b)weren't opposed to slavery
    c)didn't have a family to feed
    d)had a total lack of pride
    e)wasn't in the business serving the customer in order to MAKE MONEY

Originally posted by serpent star
    I'd do it for a bologna sandwich and a sixer of of coors silver bullets if I;

a)didn't value my sanity
    b)weren't opposed to slavery
    c)didn't have a family to feed
    d)had a total lack of pride
    e)wasn't in the business serving the customer in order to MAKE MONEY
    I guess if you are 17 and have no real overhead, $1200.00 would be acceptable. If you are trying to make a living at this I would at least multiply that number x 10.

Id push for 5k to 8k with the time restraint being the major factor. I would also make sure that they understand that as well. I dont care who you are, unless youre cookie cutting sites, thats too short of a time period (for most freelancers, sans a team of pros). Also, how important is a quality design to the client. Getting quality functionality is time consuming in and of itself, not to mention the hours spent pacing over a 'blank' drawingboard...
    Moving at the speed of Flash

to make it in that short of time, i'd need to outsource parts to freelancers. i'd need enough to cover all my work and what i think it will cost the freelancers, +1/2 freelancer cost to cover my ass incase one didnt deliver and i needed to pull a few allnighters to get it done.

it all depends on what you usually charge (the quality of your work) and the client (if its for bobs auto repair down the road you wouldnt charge as much as if it was for sony). but i dont wanna get in the discussion of whether its ok to charge more for larger companies. the reason you charge more is client base - the same reason commercials during super bowl cost more than commercials at 2am on PBS.

but www.freelancers.com estimates $2500-5000, so that should give you a starting point.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

ScreenResolution
    I'd be well impressed if you could do this in only one week!! Are you working on your own or do you have a team?

Under normal time scales (6-8weeks for me) I'd charge around £3,000

Thanks for all the advice! I do work alone and usually outsource some programming when it is more cost effective to do so. In this case I would use a commercial e-commerce software package for the back-end. I think the biggest issue is the time frame. They are not pleased with their current site and want a more "professional" site. The only thing being is they also want it in a week. It is possible for me to do it all in a week, but it would not be easy. I also have other projects and proposals I am working on so that is a factor. I sent them an estimate of around $4,000. They called me back and said that is what they would like to spend in the future, but not now. Under normal development time (30-60) days I would do the site for less. Once again I thank everyone for all their input. I just wanted to get an idea of what other professional thought about this issue. It is truly amazing to me that people want these awesome, professional websites; yet they do not want to pay for them. Thanks, TC

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    So they WILL spend $4000.00, just not yet.

They want a cheap, professional website for less than you can afford to do it for, in a shorter timeframe than is likely, and with all the above mentioned features including professional looking design and functionality, promo, and backend.

Cheap, quality, and quick.

what a joke some people are....