A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need help in downloading the file..

Need help in downloading the file..

Hi,

I have recently developed my perosnal website and is on the net.The problem here is my website file size is 3.4 MB after compressing to swf file.Since the file size is very huge, i'm unable to open it using Dial-up connection and it takes hours to download and i still see nothing on the browser except "Loading page" and at the same time it takes to download my file about 1-2min using DSL.
    I have used lots of images and sound effects.

I don't know how to solve my problem...

I appreciate any help here..

Thanks

srav

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    well, for starters...3.4mb!!! who on earth will wait that long until it's loaded, for example, it will take 3 min 29 sec's to load with a 128k idns connection and people with a 56k dial up connection have to wait a staggering 8 min 29 sec's....!
    I recommend strongly to re-organize your movie, have the sound converted into streaming .swf's, have many different movies and use the "load movie' option, optimize your images to a jpeg compression with a quality of not nore then 80% etc etc.
    3.4mb...you will the only one watching it!
    btw, if you'd like to have a look at my site, the initial movie is 29k's...don't even need a preloader.

wolf

thanks

thanks for the information.I would like to know how to compress using jpeg compression and etc..whatever you specified in your reply..
    I'm just hoping to reduce my file size soon...

If i reduce using jpeg compression, do i need to start from strach like first compressing and then attaching or i can just compress them whereever the images are?

Secondly, does it have a major impact on the downloading time???

Plz..let me know...

Many thanks...

srav

You can compress after you attach.

Goto the properties panel of the image.
    Click PROPERTIES.
    Check the box RECOMPRESS JPEG
    Set the quality

Note: A lower quality value = more compression.

Impact on loading time... is hard to say.
    It depends on how much you compress, how
    large the pictures are, and how many there
    are.
    Note: More compression = Less Image Quality

Good luck!
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

thanks

Thanks for helping me , i really appreciate and i'm wondering whether there is anyway of compressing the sound effects too.
    I'm using .png for the images as an extension intstead of .jpeg so i believe, the compression works same for jpeg or png right!!

srav

with "sound effects", do you mean music?
    If yes, ther are a few programs around, like Soundnails that can convert a mp3 file into a "streaming" .swf file, which doesn't have to load first, it will play more or less instantly, just use the 'load/unload movie" action to play or stop the sound.

wolf

thanks for the immediate response. I have looked at your site.It's pretty cool..and also i liked the music and the design. I was amazed with the file size and the download time.

Coming to my stuff, i tried to compress .png images ( help provided my "Genesis" ) but i couldn't do it because the option is only for the Jpeg file formats.For quality my Adobe photoshop saved all my images as a .png format.

What could be the best in a way to reduce my file size and at the same time i can view my website on the net using dial-up?

srav

PNG compression info available at:
    http://www.atmostyle.com/tutorials/png/png.html

Hope that helps.
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by sravanthi

Coming to my stuff, i tried to compress .png images ( help provided my "Genesis" ) but i couldn't do it because the option is only for the Jpeg file formats.For quality my Adobe photoshop saved all my images as a .png format.

What could be the best in a way to reduce my file size and at the same time i can view my website on the net using dial-up?
    Just import the .png into SWiSH and when you go to "properties" use
    the "Jpeg Compression" and in the "Quality Box" put 80%, this will reduce the filesize greatly.
    I save all my images in 24bit .png files because it gives you much better quality, especially when semi-transparencies are involved and then I use the "jpeg compression" in SWiSH to reduce the filesize.

wolf