dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pleeeeeeease Heeeeeeelp!!!

Pleeeeeeease Heeeeeeelp!!!

Hi,
    I am somewhat new to flash, and I need help with something very easy regarding flash buttons, please help...
    I know how to insert a button and make the different states of it(Over, hit...), but I don't know how to link it to another file, for example when the visitor to the site clicks the button, it would take them to another page on my site, such as page 2. I don't want to neccessarily link it to another URL, but I want to link the button to another page in the site which I am using dreamweaver to make...
    Please help me with this and please be detailed so that I understand. Again I just want to learn how to link a button to a 1)URL and 2)to an internal file in the site
    PLease Please help...

Thankfull,
    Bachdragon

first, what are you making? an entire flash site or flash embedded in a HTML site,
    make a button, on the button

on(release){
    gotoAndPlay(frameNumber);
    }

or

on(release){
    loadMovie("game.swf","holder");
    }

holder is the empty MC you make that has an instance name of holder,
    place that clip any where you want the external file to load, or in the Library link the MC you want to load

PLease help again

Hi PCRide,
    Thank You for your response.
    Again I am very very new to flash and programming for that matter and I don't know any coding.
    Let me tell you what I want to do again, so please help me...
    I want to make a site in Dreamweaver(which I am also new at) and I want to have a very basic flash intro, and I want the visitor to watch the intro and then I want to have some buttons next to the intro where he could click on and be taken to the second page of the website which is only html. So basically I am just sending the visitor to page 2 of the site.

also, can you tell me how I can have it that when the flash movie ends, the visitor would atomatically be taken to the second html page?

Thank You for your help
    BachDragon

ok,

so make the intro, embed it into a HTML page named index.html, cuz thats the default name for servers right! k now create the second page named home or main.html or what ever

so it would be like this

www.mydomain.com (this would be the into)

www.mydomain.com/main.html(this would be the main site)

so on the last keyframe of the intro put a stop and then on the button put the code

on(release){
    geturl("http://www.mydomain.com/main.html","_blank");
    }

so that will send the user to the main site

if you wanted to make it so the after the intro it would go to the main site automatically after the intro is done put this

create a new layer in Flash and on the last keyframe of the MC instead of the button make a empty MC called empty,

INSERT-->NEW-->SYMOBOL-->MOVIECLIP
    name the MC empty and then when it goes into the MC just go back out to the main MC and drag the empty MC fromn the library to the top left corner of the flash movie intro, just make sure its on the last keyframe only and nothing before it or after it, then click on the MC and put this code

onClipEvent (load) {
    geturl("mydomain.com/main.html","_blank");

}

change the blank to self if you want it to open in the same window, you can add some javascript to it as well and leave the _blank there so when the user close's the main HTML site the intro page refreashes to after a certain amount of seconds and refreashes to a thanks for visting page

PCRIDE

Banned
    How simple! When put that way!

THANK YOU SO MUCH...

PCRIDE,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP,
    IF YOU DON'T MIND, WITH YOUR PERMISSION I ADDED YOU TO MY BUDDIES, SO THAT MAYBE I CAN ASK YOU OTHER STUFF IN THE FUTURE.

AGAIN, THANK YOU
    BACHDRAGON

ya be glad to help, I know when I was learning flash it was a pain, thanks to this awsome board and members.