1 100.00%
  • PHPObject?

0 0%
  • Standard XML?

0 0%

Thread: PHPObject vs. WDDX

AMF-PHP vs. WDDX

Hi hardcore flasher out there.

I am currently designing a flash based portal and I trying to decide if I should base my backend connectivity on the WDDX functionality of PHP or using instead AMF-PHP. AMF-PHP looks very cool but I am kind of worried that being a proprietary system based on a closed protocol (AMF), it may have long term compatibility problems. In other words, that on the next version of Flash macromedia decides to make changes to the flash remoting protocol that are incompatible with the current version of AMF-PHP, which may or may not be furthered developed in the future. Another aleternative is PHPObject, which also looks very cool and doesnt't use AMF.

So what do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by jgsacris; 05-07-2003 at 04:42 AM.

Hi,

in the past Macromedia was careful to keep new players upward compatible, so FP6 can still play most F4 movies. Exceptions were either dictated by security concerns, or are considered bugs.
    Now, changing AMF would affect their server customers as well

Musicman

That is indeed true, but being that AMF is a relatively new technology, no one would blame macromedia if they made some major revisions, or minor revisions just big enough to render the competition obsolete. I know that is something that could be expected from other companies (we know who they are) rather than from macromedia, but still the question is:
    Are the advantages of AMF-PHP large enough to justify the risks?