A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: www.johnhenry.net

www.johnhenry.net

Nicely done site

Johnhenry.net

They have done some wicked websites

don't really like the site that much, they do have a decent portfolio though.

alty

Not much flash from what I can see the only part that is flash is the little animation of the office... Am I missing something?

Not a big fan of this one.
    Last edited by gdstudios; 05-08-2003 at 08:09 AM.

Glad to see everyone here still has a very open mind. I'm surprised no one has compared it to 2A Studios yet - but i'm waiting for that one.

I think you guys are really missing this one. It's a cleverly programmed site that remembers where you have been and what you looked at and presents information with great clarity.

I think this is a lesson in usability, and just because it's not the usual 2A wank you guys love - you cant really see that.

Erm, i just took a look at http://www.aquaverse.com/ HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA - o my god - how dare you even show your face here you rip off merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think its works really well. not much flash but its very good to browse

Originally posted by thegown
    Erm, i just took a look at http://www.aquaverse.com/ HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA - o my god - how dare you even show your face here you rip off merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whoa. You really think my site is a rip. I'm glad to see such passion. Some will think so and some won't, I understand that. All depends how you define a rip. I can tell you this. I did not use anyone else's animations, anyone else's graphics, or anyone else's anything to make my site. It is 100% hard work, my first Flash website, and yes, definitely 2A-inspired. Anyways, thanks for the maturity in your post and definitely thanks for the exposure. Cheers.

I agree

I agree with thegown ! I think that site has some great content and a very very impressive portfolio ! More portfolio work than most sites combined. On top of that he does some great photoshop work and very creative stuff. I especially like the baby sucking the other baby (boobie) hehehe.

I think most people like "aqua-whatever" want instant stimulation and connot see into a site if its not "flashy" You really should look into a site before you critique it. Also about your "inspired site", I can make a site just like yours not using any of your graphics, animatins, colors..whatever, and just because I did all the work does not mean that it is not a rip. The work RIP or ripoff means , and I quote "Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else." So don't tell us that your site is not a RIP !

Duh !
    Dijhili

but.....

Then again "Aqua-whatever" is correct too !
    Everything in life resembles something...a past memory....something in a movie..... So in one way EVERYTHING is a rip. Nobody is truely original. All ideas are based on something or someone.

So in defense to what I just posted ...I apologize to "aqua-whatever".
    You site does have a nice look. I think the transition sections with the open / close door has been a little over used a few year ago though.

Other than that......
    Dijhili

the shoeless designer Barefoot Kid's Avatar
    its a nice enuff site, i like the little office animation but that pixel style is a bit dated now methinks

heck, even though I totally changed the site and it looks nothing like this current temp page, I took the color gray and the window size from propod. Oh ..no ! I think I'll get some bashing for that one!

I forgot that window size and color gray has been copywrite protected.....oh my the scroll bar area is almost the same shade as them as well.....ahhh We better tell them about this tragic event!
    Dijhili

why jump on gdstudios just because he doesent like the site?

i dont really think its anything great either... i mean, its a well put together site and its asthetically pleasing, but it just seems to be missing that special something

Originally posted by big_k
    why jump on gdstudios just because he doesent like the site?

i dont really think its anything great either... i mean, its a well put together site and its asthetically pleasing, but it just seems to be missing that special something
    Thanks for the defense. I was waiting for some backup big_k. Fact is, the cool site posted really isn't all that great. It doesn't mean that someone didn't spend a lot of time doing it, it just means that, to me, it isn't all that attractive.

And to Diji-whatever, I appreciate your insult, then your back-handed face=saving compliment, and the calling of my website aqua-whatever five times in one post. Real nice. Fact is, you are right, as defined, every single site ever made in the history of the planet is a rip. For designers it's all about respect. A designer will not be respected until he comes up with something totally new. Period. That's the way it is, and the way it will always be. Fantasy Interfaces, Whoswe, 2Advanced, Estudio, Theory7. All are the innovators in the industry and all receive the highest praise and the most passionate criticism. This is truly a sign of who's on top. If you're not criticized while on top, it means that something is wrong. If people aren't zealously jealous of your work, there's a problem.

Frankly, it's less important to me to win all the awards, and more important to design good, usable websites for clients and to make millions of dollars doing what I love. So far, I am realizing that dream minus a few bucks.

its ok... but whats new with it? why is it under cool sites?

ermmm confused

I just get annoyed with the 2A crew and their limited understanding of the world.

We should all take the time to appraise work properly and not slate it at the first opportunity because it doesn't have a really **** picture of a corprate building in the background and really dated transitions.

Lets address usability issues and clarity of information too.
    Last edited by thegown; 05-08-2003 at 09:22 AM.

You are so obviously one of those jealous zealot types. Give me a break. You're just baiting now.

although you've been here since 2001 it seems to me you haven't been on the review boards for a while.. : as far as im concerned 2A hasn't been praised at FK, but in fact critizised... which i find logical.
    personally i dont like 2A, but i recognize their merit. they've been capable of putting up their own standards and making thousands of designers follow them. and although i may not like their style, it works and it's effective.. same way as jhonhenry.

anyway, the site showcased here is good, but it shows nothing but a functional design made attractive. it is a nice job, but i don't find it cool.. that's all.

dont know about really cool! but it is nice! i do like it!