A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with designing a Board Game

Threaded View

Help with designing a Board Game

I'm a year 11 student, studying Software Design and my major project is to create an electronic version of a board game that currently exists. The requirements that this game must meet are:

* use of simple and structured data types
    * accept data input and perform data validation
    * accept keyboard intercepts
    * use a random number generator
    * enable multiplayer operation
    * maintain a high score list

The board game I have decided to use is Ludo. I've adapted the game to suit some of the requirements. The board game will be based on the webcomic 8-Bit Theatre (http://www.nuklearpower.com/). I've attached a screen shot to make it easier to picture what I'm trying to describe. Because the original game of Ludo does not have a scoring system, I've created one.

SCORING SYSTEM:
    For a first place finish (all pieces must have made it to the finish line), a player receives 4 points. For every place after, there is a deduction of 1 point (i.e. 3rd - 3 points, 2nd - 2 points, 4th - 1 point) from the maximum of 4 points.
    If a player lands on a square that is occupied by another player's piece, the other piece is sent back to the start and the player is awarded a point.
    i.e. Player A's playing piece lands on a square occupied by Player B's piece. Player B's piece gets sent back to the start while Player A receives 1 point for a "kill".
    The total score of a player is their kill score, plus their place score (the amount of points they got for their place finish). The winner is the player with the highest total score. A maximum of 5 Ludo games can be played in a Tournament, where a player's total score is accumulated throughout the 5 games.

Right now the biggest problem I'm having is not being able to figure out how to get each piece to move according to the die roll, due to the complex rules regarding the movement of playing pieces. For example:

* for any piece that is within the starting area, there must be a check made to see if the die roll is 2, 4 or 6. If not, the piece is not allowed to be moved.

Originally I thought to give each square on the game board a co-ordinate, so the player rolls the die, the game shows them which piece they can move and they would choose it and the piece would automatically be moved ahead by the number of spaces indicated by the die.

Currently, there are 40 squares on the main game track, plus an additional 16 for the home tracks and a final finish square. That comes to a total of 57 squares that would need to have their own individual co-ordinates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this possible/easier to code?
    Attached Images Attached Images