A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Point Of A Pixel Font.

Point Of A Pixel Font.

I am new to flash design...will someone enlighten me on the use of pixel fonts, and their pro's and cons?

-------thanks-------------
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

Are you normally a troublemaker? Or are you just in a fiesty mood tonight?

http://www.minifonts.com/tips.html#flash

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/pixelfonts.htm

Circular logic at it's best.

Personally, I stick with fonts that everyone has on their computer and then I sit in the peanut gallery and watch everyone else worry about their pixel funts, er, fonts....

Thanks for the quick reply. That was what I figured, just wanted to double check. I always used the arial font, and stayed away from the pixel fonts. I am building a new site now, and thinking about using them. Any ideas? The site I am building is one which I want a very crisp, clean look, selling a product. There are sections of a good amount of type. I'm debating the use of pixel fonts. Who knows? I am sure it has been posted before about places to pick up free pixel fonts. I know actionscript.org has some. Alright take care.

-GG

ps. how do I add an icon under my name on the right?
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...tmap_fonts.htm
    http://www.dafont.com/en/
    http://www.wpdfd.com/wpdtypo3a.htm
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...46#post2240146

Pixelfonts are often very nice looking and can give your site just that little bit more. But they are also very tricky so make sure you check out the requirements on how to use pixelfonts. Another thing might be filesize. Pixelfonts always need to be embedded.

------------------

About the avatar, you need to have a 100 posts before you are allowed to upload one!

Nice...
    Thanks for the info. I understand now. I think I may attempt. When I pusblish the I will check for the "blur". I will set my x/y cords, and I will not anti-alias. Sound good?

Speaking of X/Y cordinates:
    someone check: www.paperdenim.com
    are they using x/y cords. with some when showing their product line?

Thanks to all..

-G.Guru
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

Yes - those are definitely pixel fonts on the product descriptions. Make sure you always keep in mind the x/y issue, as people frequently get confused when using pixel fonts in an MC within a movie. The fonts in the MC should be on exact coordinates AND the MC should be on exact coordinates on the main stage as well.

RH

Whats the deal if the text is scrolling, and the x/y cord. are changing? is this going to give me the "nasty blur"? I have read above with what you have all instructed, about the whole numbs. Are those in the properties window, when applying text in the lower left. just making sure I am looking in the correct area. Get at me when your free.

-G.Guru.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

I have seen it blur and seen it not blur. Generally, most scroller scripts (like the component scroller in flash MX) make the text move at +1 or -1 incerments, so if it started on the exact coordinate, it will always be on one.

I have seen it blur when the scroller is the inertia type where the content of the box slides into place. Even on those, however, it eventually comes back into focus anyway.

The coordinates of anything can be controlled via the info inspector box.

RH

nice.

thanks for the info. I am a newbie, so what do you think would be the easiest way to learn a.scripting. I got so many idea's but no nothing... I got the flash bible, but trying to read some of the stuff..is a tad confusing. if you got any help, or a good place to start let me know. I am new to the web design scene.

-G.Guru.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

Your already at the best place to start learning. I mean this forum. The Bible is great, but I use mine more as a reference than as a teaching aid, although you could just plow through it and do everything. One sad fact about Flash MX, it is not a shallow learning curve program. I've had it since last October and probably have more time than most to devote to it, and I'm still a [self proclaimed] noob. I also have 5 other MX books, most concerning action script only. I have noticed that the top dogs in this business have a very strong grounding in Math. If you can think Math and you see pictures when you do, then your already way ahead of the pack. Actionscript in MX is heads above what was available in F5, but being able to use Math 'and' actionscript is an order of magnitude above even that.

Bottom line, [IMHO] is that to be a designer takes artistic talent. If you don't have some to start with, no book or program will give it to you.

I hear you. For the math part, well, lets just say that is a touchy subject. I guess you could say I am one of those artists who perfers the designing process far over the crunching numbers. This may be one of the reasons I only had to take math for liberal arts II, to gain a degree at Florida State University, in design. Shows what they know, haha. I am def. learning, it will take me some time. I have so many ideas, I just have to sit down and run through them, try and fail. I have learned alot from being on here so far, and its only been a month so I am pumped. It def. helps, with a site like this.

thanks peeps.

-G.guru.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

The Bible ??
    Am I missing something?? i know of plenty good Flash books...but what's 'The Bible'

This is my Bible

Nice...I see everyone is up to par on their required reading. I guess I can't say I have. I do not have the flash actionscripting bible, just yet. I do have the flash bible, and this may be one of the reasons I am in the situation I am in. (STUCK). As time will pass, I shall learn, until then I will watch my fellow designers on the great, flashkit.com. Only time will tell.

--------------G.guru.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.