dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Flash Game Design Books

Web Site Designer

Good Flash Game Design Books

What are some good flash game design books?

I recommend Flash MX Game Design Demystified.

What do you recommend?
    Yep!

Look over there>>>>>>> rtbenson's Avatar
    Isn't that the one by jobemjobem (Jobe Makar). I'm reading his book about Flash MX Actionscripting and it seems pretty good, so I would suggest his game design book.

Web Site Designer
    Yep, that's the one. It is a very good book for game designing.
    Yep!

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    Might I suggest

ActionScript: The Definitive Guide (2nd Edition)

It's not a game design book, but you don't need one. This will teach you the fundamentals of coding, all the while providing excellent documentation for the more advanced features of the language.

If you read through it, I guarentee that you will know what you can and cannot make, and how you would go about doing it. Game Design isn't any different from any other kind of programming, you just have you understand your tools.

I have personally found that the game design books for Flash are greatly oversimplified, and have no true value to someone who wants to make something original. I just don't think they deliver a good base for non-programmers to build upon.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

Web Site Designer
    I'll take look at that book because I have been having problems with programming actionscript on the game I am programming. Maybe that will help me.
    Yep!

I never had an flash game book.. I think most of them are a little too formulaic.

My tools for creativity are computer paper, mechanical-pencil, Pre-Calc book, and a actionscript reference guide (I prefer livingston it's short and to the point). With all these items gathered I just sit back with a cup of coffee and let my thoughts do all the building.

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    haha, couldn't have said it better myself.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

I have personally found that the game design books for Flash are greatly oversimplified, and have no true value to someone who wants to make something original. I just don't think they deliver a good base for non-programmers to build upon.
    i agree totally - a lot do more harm than good....then 'Flash MX Game Design Demystified' came out - it steers away from the badly coded 'whack-a-mole' crap that a lot of flash 'game' books are full of (avoid gary rosenzweig like the plague). It gives a good overhaul of trig and iso methods and doesn't treat you like you've never heard of flash before - there's very little padding just well coded and thought out mechanics and physics with good examples.

the only thing that bugs me with it is the reflection on games on the electrotank site - a large wodge of the book is on trig/collision/billiard ball phyics but the electrotank 9 ball game is pretty bad - slow, buggy and ugly, I guess more work has been put into the book and not in the game!

ive got 'Flash MX Game Design Demystified', certainly one of the best ive seen. cuts away the basic lessons and gets down and dirty.

the trouble with flash games books is that lots of people take the source files and adapt them to make 'new' games. what ever happened to innovation!? (still live and kicking in flashkit im glad to say).

I liked the game studio book by friends of Ed. I know it's for Flash 5 but there is a lot of good stuff in there and is an excellent starting point.

I'm with devnull regard Action Script for MX the Def guide. It's stunning, and if everyone had a copy of that book we would hardly ever seen another action script ( Or OOP ) question posted on this board!

Squize.

how much does that cost squize??? im looking for a good book... i tihnk it would do me some good

Just looking at the back of it:
    US $54.95
    CAN $85.95 (!)

I think it's about 30 quid in real money

You get over a 1000 pages for that and pretty much everything is covered ( With at least one detailed example ), and OOP is done in unreal depth and detail.
    ( Check www.moock.org , he's got some sample chapters and all the code is available there. Oh, and it's a good site in itself )

Check Amazon, they'll do it as cheap as anyone and postage is free for most countries.

Squize.

PS. I've become an advert for Colin Moock and Amazon. Joy.

Web Site Designer
    I just ordered ActionScript: The Definitive Guide and it does look really good. I don't like it when people copy files and then change them into their own files either because then you never learn how to do it on your own. I do think that game design books could be good like Flash MX Game Design Demystified if they would get past the basics.
    Yep!

where could I get a good book like these you guy's are talking about?

I would actually recommend Gary Rosenzweig. I found his books (both Flash gaming and for Director) to be very simple and definitely for beginners, but they helped me learn how to do both programs to a degree of proficiency that I am comfortable with.

<shrugs>
    I guess different strokes....

Books

I find it useful to have several books on different catagories
    that also overlap..this way you always have a second
    perspective

some of the books i use are

Game Design secrets of the sages
    -not referance but a collection of interviews
    -from top game designers

Flash MX Bible
    -A staple - Great Referance

Macromedia Flash MX actionscripting advanced
    Training from the source
    -A great actionscripting referance

Flash MX Game design demystified
    -great guidelines but just that a guide

Then branch off on more detailed books on the
    particular type of game and resources needed
    but i don't rely on one book to be the answer

i personally wouldent reccomed a for dummies book, theyre too basic

Action Script for MX the Def guide and Flash MX Game Design Desmystified are the only two books i have on flash.

i considered purchasing one of the bibles, but so far i've found everything i needed to know from Moock's book. it really is a good buy.

as for Jobe's book, it's chapters on networking with flash and XML stuff were pretty helpful. and it wasn't that confusing either.

i'd say they were both worth the money.

Personally i dont think you should buy books which are based totally on flash game design. Simply to the fact it takes how you work and changes it into how the person who wrote the book works which cancels out individuality and personal input.

"why did you do it that way" "because the book told me to" rather then "Because i felt like doing it that way and taught myself how to do it that way". What i would reccomend is to buy 2 books based on flash its self eg how to use flash and the different types of actionscript methods and how they are used. That way the 2 books give you 2 different examples and you use that to create your own way of making flash projects.

Im totally agianst learning from books

But if i would have to choose a book for game design i would choose
    "Flash Game Studio" From friends of ed. They have some great titles.

BTW hows friends of ed doin. They still dead or what

I started out with 'Flash games Studio' by friends of Ed, which is good to start off with. But I suppose the Demystified one by Jobe Makar is the next step after that - but at the moment I definentely look at both.
    .: JUSTIN :.