A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 16:9

16:9

I have some video footage that was shot in 16:9 i cant find the way to export it as such, i allways end up exporting 4:3 im trying from premier and from after effects, i asked this question before and was told that you will be able to do it from after effects, im pretty new to after affects so, could anybody help, or just a premier forum,faq,documents, enything??
    Thanx.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    In Premiere you can set whatever output dimensions you want. It's in the video settings.
    When you start a new project you can also specify the size you want.
    jb
    www.wildform.com

Yeah, i know all that, when i capture from IEEE (firewire) i choose 16:9, and it looks great, i work, edit, blah blah, and when i choose to export it doesnt works, allways ends up looking 4:3 i´ve tried all the video settings possible, D1/DVpal widescreen 16:9, NTSC widescreen, even though its pal, i even tried anamorphic --i know its no the same--, my frame size is 720x576 that´s supposed to be 16:9 right??
    Im running out of ideas.
    Thanx for the answer jb.

Thanx.
    Last edited by phreakdevil; 11-12-2003 at 01:18 PM.

screen format size

720X540 is 4:3, which is very close to what you're working in. i'm an editor. when i work with things in my avid at 16:9 it will lay it out to a normal 4:3 ntsc deck/monitor but the image will look squeezed (horizontally) until you look at it on a 16:9 screen. such as the new plasma screens. to view your work on a norm tv screen try squeezing the image (vertically) in your editor until it has what they refer to as letterbox on the tv screen. basically you'll have a 16:9 image on your 4:3 tv. it will have black bars above and below. kind of like when you see a dvd in widescreen. funny thing is, i'm working on a project that involves editing movie clips at 16:9. when i bring them into the avid they look squished, because i'm working in 4:3. i just resize (squeeze) them until they look normal. they end up with letterbox.

does this help at all, or is more confusing? i'm kind of assuming a few things with answering this way, so feel free to give more input. to better help you.

Yeah, its hard to explain, but i get the point, so i have to squeeze them manually?? to get it to play on any tv, mine can compress the image and make it look 16:9, but old tvs dont, so,is there a way to export it squeezed already, with the black stripes??, also i have a lot of videos that allready are 16:9 with no black bars--i hope that makes sense, uhm lets say, u download a movie preview right? it allready has the 16:9 look or anamorphic- whic is not my case (i wish), how can i do it?? i use premier, but also after effect (im new to after effects), in case that info can help.
    Thanx.

hmmm

ok, so your playing it on your tv which can play 16:9. from my experience with this you should be able to work at 16:9 on your editor, and layout to a tape (that is a normal 4:3 aspect ratio tape) and then play it back on your tv which automatically stretches it back out to view without any squished looking imagery. if you were to look at the tape on a 4:3 tv, it would look horizontally squished. so in your case you wouldn't see letterboxing because you have a 16:9 tv. maybe the size you are working at isn't 16:9. in the film world there are multiple standards beside 16:9. Maybe try working at various aspect ratios and experiment. make sense?

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    is there a way to export it squeezed already, with the black stripes??, also i have a lot of videos that allready are 16:9 with no black bars--i hope that makes sense, uhm lets say, u download a movie preview right? it allready has the 16:9 look or anamorphic- whic is not my case (i wish), how can i do it?? i use premier, but also after effect (im new to after effects), in case that info can help.
    Thanx.
    Yeahh that make sense the thing is, as quoted, i want to know how to export it with the black stripes allready so it can playback on any tv.
    And also without the b s but compressed.
    Now i hope THAT makes sense.
    lol
    Thanx for your help.

squeeze it then

then just squeeze it.