dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Vectorizing a hand-writtend logo

Vectorizing a hand-writtend logo

Hi everyone.

A friend of mine just gave me a scanned hand-writtend logo for his startup business. Since this is completely custom and there are no fonts that give me similar results, I want to vectorize the scanned image.

The problem is, I cant seem to be able to. I need just a vector-based "line" that traces the writing so that I can tweek the thickness, etc. I have tried using Flash MX (trace bitmap thingy) and Photoshop (use the magnet lasso) with no results. Does anyone have a good technique for this kind of thing. I need this as soon as possible.

Thanks a bunch.

Mikhail

Re: Vectorizing a hand-writtend logo

That's a tough one. I usually turn to my buddy who's a exellent illustrator to do stuff like this for me.

Here's what i would do:

1. In Photoshop, give it as much contrast as you can without ruining the logo.

2. Use the magic wand to select the logo.

3. Create a new path using the outline selection.

4. Copy that path and paste into Illustrator.

5. Clean it up in Illustrator.

My drawing skills are below average, but i've had pretty good luck with this technique.

Good luck,

d.
    dlowe93

Hmm... Ill give it a shot; thanks. Anyone else?

ScreenResolution
    In my opinion tehre are no shortcust for this sort of thing.

Open illustrator, zoom in and start drawing. It's the only way to get the job done properly.

If you don't have the skills, I'll be happy to do it for a small fee.

convert to vector

In photoshop or other editor, If RGB. Pushup resolution to about 1200 dpi or more and increase size 200% or more. Add Gaussian blur of 5 to 20 or so (depending on resolution and effect; you don't want to loose uniqueness of hand writing). Hit Command-L (Mac) or Control-L (Win) to bring up Levels. In slider box, move left (black point) almost completely to right. That should leave only a few pixels margin of grey areas, but basically, the bumps, scratches and paper fiber lines should be smoothed out zoom in to check. If you over did it, revert to original, start over and use more or less blur to maintain integrity but smooth edges. When satisfied, put into vector program and redraw, or use autopath to make your path. Autopath should give good results when artwork has been smoothed. If you use autopath in Freehand 9/10, you can export to Flash, or even Flash layers.

This technique has worked for me since photoshop 2 and freehand 1. In fact, I use it to convert Quicktime to flash vectors, but thats another story.
    Snook

Nice, Ill give it a try too. Thank a bunch. More methods are always welcome...

Mikhail