A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button Problem

Exclamation

I am trying to create Buttons that have sub-buttons which will be exposed on rollover. These sub-buttons are links to other sections of the site. I have tried making the sub-buttons first and then placing them within the main buttons as well as making a movie cli[p out of the sub-buttons. All of which hasn't worked. Upon rollover of the main button, the subs are exposed but flicker between UP and Over states, or so it seems. I think it is a Hit-Area problem but I am too new at this to know for sure, This is only the first problem...how do I build this and the links?

HELP,HELP,HELP...Thanks All

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

make a button for the main button. Now make a movie clip. Put a blank keyframe in the first frame with a stop aciton in it. Now put the sub menu buttons in the second frame. Put a stop action in the second frame.

Now copy the top button in the movie clips second frame and paste it in the first frame. You will be using this to line the sub menu up to the main menu button. Once you have the movie clip where you want it on the main stage give it an instance name.

Do this by double clicking on the movie clip when the dialog box opens up you will see the place to name it. then edit the movie clip and remove the button that you placed in frame one. this will hide the sub menu until it is needed.

Now put this statement in the main menu:

On (Roll Over)
    If (GetProperty (submenu, _currentframe )=1)
    Begin Tell Target ("submenu")
    Go to and Stop (2)
    End Tell Target
    End If
    End On

This will check and see if the sub menu is open or not if it is it wont do anything but if it is closed it will open. You need to change the word submenu to what ever you call your movie clip. then just make your actions in the buttons in the submenu. make sure that you have the sub menu goto frame 1 when they pick something from the sub menu. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Question

Pope de Flash...
    Thanks for replying so quickly...
    Unfortunately I am still having some problems which is probably due to inexperience.

I created my main button...then I created a movie clip with my sub-buttons like you said. Now...I placed everything on the scene,
    (should the main and sub-buttons be on sep. layers?)The I double clicked on the main button and assigned the action On Rollover that you sent and nothing shows up when I rollover. I am so confused. I have more questions about how to set the get URL's for the sub-buttons but I want to get the rollover working first.

Thanks so much...If this works, I am indebted to you.