dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to push web pages?

How to push web pages?

I was researching for a client Live Help chat systems for their web site. You know those systems that have sales people on the other end chatting with you with.
    I came across many different kinds that were written in Java, ASP, PHP exc...... These systems have many different features like Incoming Chat Requests, Canned Responses, Canned Commands, push webpages and much more.
    The only real feature my client is looking for is to be able to push webpages to the person he is chatting with on the other end. I have plenty variations of a Flash & ASP, PHP and electroserver chats. However I am not sure how or what kind of script I would need to phrase a URL to be pushed.
    How can I push webpages in a Flash chat using PHP or ASP?
    Aloha,
    light4u
    Design & Marketing
    http://www.dreamteammedia.com

For true "pushing" you need a socket server. This will update all logged in clients the moment there is new data.

However, there is a way of doing this is PHP by "pulling" rather than pushing, i.e., your Flash chat units are set to loadVariables from a PHP page every 10 seconds. This PHP page updates the Flash chat units with the newest message, if there is one.

This is probably going to be easier than setting up a socket server, but it's not nearly as fast or as efficient.

First I had it reading from a text file but it was not working.
    I almost thought I had this working using a java script but it failed.
    I am in luck. I have a socket server set up. I am just needing direction on how to script this link push. All I really need to do is when one user types in a url into the chat box and clicks send it automatically pop open another window with the url for the person on the other end of the chat. If I could get flash to phrase urls and automatically open them. Just a thought. Any help would be great.
    light4u
    Design & Marketing

Which socket server are you using?

electroserver
    Design & Marketing

Never used it - but don't they have some downloadable examples available on their website? Thought I'd seen some...

You might want to post a thread with "Electroserver" in the title - I'm pretty sure the folks from Electroserver hang around FK, especially in the Games forum.