dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Client's secretaries to update web pages - what software to use?

Client's secretaries to update web pages - what software to use?

Hi,

I have been asked to build a website for a company that needs to change the content of the pages averyday, and will be using their secretaries to do this.

Can anyone suggest the best software to do this, as their secretaries are not familiar with web design, to put it mildly! I suppose software that has a built in ftp program too.

I suggested Frontpage - but this is likely to go over their heads?

Regards,

Jged

Moved here...

Macromedia have something,I think its called contribute or something, that will do what you want.

M

Developer
    Yea, Contribute...

http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/

And they've got a little presentation here:

http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia...and/index.html

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    yep i would suggest contribute.

went to a presentation of macromedia here in spain about this software. i was really quite impressed. simple to use for the end user adn the designer just has to make templates.

simple.

Contribute is by far the easier option.
    Or if they have a web design app already, just make the page as a template, and create one editable region for the content thats gonna be updated.

But I say Contribute!
    Its no good for serious designing, any layout changes etc will HAVE to be done in Dreamweaver to get any decent result, but for updating text etc its fine
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

I was thinking about getting Contribute for a client of mine so she can edit her site without me. In ways, I would love for her to update it without me so it could save me the hassles, but if I do that, I cannot charge her for doing it, so I am losing money! How much is it anyway? 100 bucks or so?
    My current rig: AMD Athlon64 3500+(Winchester Core) MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - 1GB
    (2x512MB) Kingston HyperX DDR333 BH5 - ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128mb - SB Audigy 2
    WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB - WD 250GB 7200RPM 8MB - MAX 120GB 7200RPM 8MB - Dell 2001FP 20.1 LCD

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    it's 100 bucks a copy (I think you'll need two though, one for you and one for them)

If they are only updating text....you could use SSI and have them upload a text file. (depending on what and how much they are updating) Use a PHP file manager to upload the pages in their web browser.

Developer
    Originally posted by rafiki55
    I think you'll need two though, one for you and one for them
    If you have DreamWeaver you don't need two copies; but if you need two or more copies, the first one is $100, a second is $50 (for a limited time).

To my knowledge, Contribute can't update Flash sites.

true, however we don't know whether it is a flash site or html. The first thing that sprung to me was contribute. I was under the impression it cost more than 100$?

You could also design a database application using ASP or PHP so they can dynamically update the text from their browser.

Originally posted by juxtaflo
    You could also design a database application using ASP or PHP so they can dynamically update the text from their browser.
    that is the most reliable and versitile choice
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

I second Juxtaflo's motion...

A simple html form somewhere that is password protected on the site would be the best idea... They type in whatever needs to be changed and its stored in a DB... results retrieved will be updated as soon as they submit.

They wont have to worry about buying new software or using ftp...

Simple coding too is you dont know php I think I know someone who does

-Neoxlt

use one of the open source CMS's like http://www.typo3.com

Jged,

We build content managed web sites for our clients using ADX Studio. It's a powerful, yet simple to use CMS. (All of our clients are business people, not designers, and they love it.)

Although ADX is much more affordable than other similar apps, it still costs and requires a dedicated server. If you wanted to host the site on our box, we could give you access to it, help you through the development process and allow you to mark up the monthly cost so that you could make a profit.

My approach has always been to make the site XML based, and then code my own site editor--usually a series of ASP pages. Both HTML and Flash versions are drawn from the XML database, so any changes to the XML file will be immediately reflected in both versions. Depending on how much you trust the user, you can give them different levels of access--from simply modifying text, to creating or removing complete sections. Just be sure you code in some sort of backup system, because it's inevitable that they'll delete stuff they shouldn't.

-#

Originally posted by juxtaflo
    have any tutorials on this?

Here are a few links I have laying around for ASP.

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
    http://www.smartwebby.com/flashnasp.asp
    http://www.webthang.co.uk/

Thats all I have. Just do a google search. I am sure you will find a lot.