A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fast, smooth animation using actionscript - please help...

Fast, smooth animation using actionscript - please help...

Ok, here's the question:

Can someone make for me a quick FLA of an object moving across the screen at a very high speed and with an extra amount of easing using actionscript. I'm looking for movement similar to that seen on your typical Fantasy Interfaces site. A link to a good tutorial may suffice, however, I have asked this question numerous times before and it has gone unanswered. Sometimes, I feel like the fast animation secret will never be unveiled at FK. And this is posted here because I have extensive experience animating without actionscript and you simply cannot achieve the speed and easing I am looking for with straight animation unless the FPS is 100, which is not realistic. I hope someone can finally help me this time.

Good example: the opening sequence of http://www.favoritewebsiteawards.com
    Last edited by gdstudios; 05-23-2003 at 02:41 PM.

Goooold Member!
    Create the function that does your programatic animation. At the end of that function place the following.

updateAfterEvent();

Call you function using the setInterval command. Now your screen will refresh after each function call, instead of depending on your frame rate. You could set your frame rate to 1 and the speed of the animation would not noticably change. For more info on updateAfterEvent(); consult the flashMX reference section.

Sent you a PM Cyanide. Thanks. If anyone else has a good method for doing this, please post...

Goooold Member!
    Here's an fla that demonstrates how to use a function along with setInterval() and updateAfterEvent() to create smooth frame rate independant animations.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Cyanide, thanks a million times over. I will study your FLA and hopefully it'll make sense to me with a bit of practice. Thanks again.

It's surprising that more info can't be easily found on this subject. I would think that more Flash developers would want to learn this method for animating with more control. Perhaps I am just being dumb, but when you say to refer to the Flash MX Reference section, what are you speaking of? Excuse my ignorance.
    Last edited by gdstudios; 05-23-2003 at 11:09 PM.

re-flashkitted

you_bet'cha

Hey there, YES!
    There are some others interested in that reading.
    Thanks for posting.
    Cërf.

All I need now is a grand data bank of knowledge on this method and then I'm set. The thread should be made sticky, that's how important I think it is.

Originally posted by gdstudios
    Hey Cyanide, thanks a million times over. I will study your FLA and hopefully it'll make sense to me with a bit of practice. Thanks again.

It's surprising that more info can't be easily found on this subject. I would think that more Flash developers would want to learn this method for animating with more control. Perhaps I am just being dumb, but when you say to refer to the Flash MX Reference section, what are you speaking of? Excuse my ignorance.
    Edit - Nevermind, I think I know what you mean now - in the program itself. Thanks.