A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please Help

Question

I am having a problem viewing the alternative gif on IE 5.0 without the flash plugin. I published the movie using flash 4.0 with a gif for users without the plugin. However, IE 5.0 asks if you want the plugin, when you say no the movie area is empty.

In Netscape 3.0 without the plugin the gif loads without asking the user if they want the plugin. This is what I would like to achieve in IE 5.0

Thanks ahead,
    Dan

Wink

i didn't encounter such a problem with IE 5 because all the plug-in are pre-installed.

however, there is one stupid way to solve it,

1. place your alternative flash .gif into another html, example, "gif.html"

2. in your original flash html, place a javascript that will detect browser version and plug-in. If no plug-in is found, redirect your viewer to that "gif.html".

I am too lazy to write that javascript out, however, you can find one in javascript.com without any problem.

Hope this will help.

------------------

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00001783.swf" quality=high WIDTH=550 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>