A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this possible??

Is this possible??

Hello I'm a newbie and also a student. For my senior thesis I'm attempting to develop DJ/Turntablism site. One of the pieces in the project would feature a list of audio loops/clips, and it's similar to the "mixmax" software that's availible.

So basically I would like a menu with approx 10-15 audio clips that can be selected and play onto channel 1 of a virtual mixer, on the other channel the user would be able to select another audio clip. Upon selecting the audio clip the user would be able to hear the two audio clips simlutaneously together and vice versa. I know that I can have the loops previously mixed on different points on the timeline and then with the mouse up command it would be able to redirect the timeline to the pre mixed clips but is there a wat to do it in real time? Any advice or input would be greatly appeciated? Also input on the level of difficulty would also be helpful. Thanks.

Sort of.

Using the Sound() object you can load and play multiple sound files simultaneously and you can use its methods to synchronise the sounds.

Flash has no way of measuring intensity however, so your mixing channel will not be able to accurately display any visual information other than makey uppy stuff.

Well, what I was wanting to do is to use a program such as ACID or Soundforge and have all the BPM's of the audio clips in sync and then somehow figure out a way to program it. But as for "uppy stuff" I don't know what you mean.

Thanks for the reply

"makey uppy stuff" = stuff that you have made up = invented stuff

In the previous post you mentioned that Flash has no way of measuring intensity. Are you speaking in terms of decibels or something else? I guess the visual information that your refering to would be like a VU meter/EQ on the virtual mixer?

Would you still be able to drag clips onto this mixer and have them load in real time? Or would that be a problem? Or would I be better off having the clips pre-mixed and then just have flash jump to that specifc place in the timeline where the clips are located?

Thanks.

Flash just plays a sound signal. It doesn't know about decibels, frequencies, silences, noises or anything else. It just knows it is playing a soundclip or it is not playing a soundclip.

So you cannot have a graphic equaliser unless you preprocess the sound in a third-party product to generate a flash movie with all the data for the equaliser. (I can't remember the name of any of these off hand, I think there was one mentioned on the MX CD.)

Dragging clips into play is easy enough: you simply set the filename to load when the clip is dropped. Read up on Sound() methods .load, .start and the properties .position and .duration.