A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pop-up from a text file?!!!

pop-up from a text file?!!!

Hi,

I think I got myself deeper in flash than I can handle
    I'm trying to launch a pop-up window from a swf where the text is being generated by a text file. To follow what I'm saying please follow this link:

http://www.mikeaqel.com >> Projects >> scroll down to ZiGGiN.com

you will see that it's possible to click on the the text there... well, I need to do the same to the rest of the projects, but with a pop-up window that's launching a swf rather than a new browser window.

My question is: how can do the pop-up since it's being launched from the text file?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss People.

Hi 7amood,
    I remember that I've already sent an example of it to you. I do it one more time.
    As far as I understand you want to launch a pop-up window within a main movie. Is it right? If so, then you should write some function for launching a pop-up window. And then you can call this function from a text, by using asfunction. In my example I loadMovie, but the function may be any you wish (attachMovie, mc.gotoAndPlay(), etc).
    By the way, I've seen your site and noticed that you made a little mistake in the "projects.swf". At the end of text there all last paragraph (ZiGGiN.com) is reacting on a mouse event instead of just headline. If you want that only headline to react on mouse event, you should put closing tag (/a) right after … nZiGGiN.com (/b) (/font) HERE….
    Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sergwiz; 05-24-2003 at 05:45 AM.

Banned
    It could also be done with a simple "a href" tag with a call to a javascript popup opener script.

But as I understand, he does not want new browser window to be launched but a new swf within a main.swf. Therefor there is no need of javascript here.

Banned
    You could be right! Guess he used a bad choice of words... Thus the confusion on my part. But javascript & an "a href" tag (although, you're right, the asfunction would be easier) could still do it!

sergwiz, you are absoloutly right. but I got stuck at the "writing the pop-up function level" and I need a lot of help there. Have you done anything like this befor? do you have a function that I can use? I'm really lost when it comes to ActionScript.

Your observation is right as well... I will change that once all of my projects are linked correctly
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss People.

No, I don't have such a function, I just write it when it needs. Certainly I'll help you, but you should describe the task as precisely as possible, so that I could understand it. You see that even Oldnewbie hardly understands what you want. And I have understood you only because I already helped you on this problem in the past.

Sorry guys if I wasn't clear enough

what oldnewbie has suggested doesn't apply to my case due to the very reason you've mentioned.

Ok, here is the file that I need to launch the pop-up from. When you look at it, you'll notice that I'm using a text file. The HTML link on ZiGGiN.com works fine.

Now I need to do the same thing to the first paragraph "Spectrum FACET", but with an asfunction to launch a swf within a pop-up or just by itself... it just has to be separate from the main window. This swf will include screenshots of the project.

Let me know if I'm not makinig any sense

Thanks

Banned
    Fail to see why you don't use the same exact thing you're doing with what you call your working link...

Since...

...to launch a swf within a pop-up or just by itself... it just has to be separate from the main window...

...And using the asfunction to open another external .swf, it would be in the same window, unless you used the asfunction to open a popup, which you can do as you did for your other link!

oldnewbie, feel free to download the file and show me what you mean...

Thanks

7amood, tell me the name of swf file you want to launch and it's
    width and height. The faster you do it the faster you'll get the result.

the name: images.swf
    width: 600px
    hight: 500px

Take it. And tell me is it that you want?

That's awesome! did you do it only by this javascript function, then calling it? I tried that... but I think I had syntax errors. and I always had an empty browser window poping up as well... so I gave up on Javascript

Now how do I center the pop-up?
    Last edited by 7amood; 05-24-2003 at 06:09 PM.

Well, if it is that you wanted, this means that Oldnewbie was right and he understood you better than I did at first.

If you want to center the pop-up, you should write this script into "images.html":

(SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript)
    var winxpos = (window.screen.width-600)/2;
    var winypos = (window.screen.height-500)/2;
    window.moveTo(winxpos,winypos);
    (/SCRIPT)

That's all.
    Last edited by sergwiz; 05-24-2003 at 06:15 PM.

Yep he did, but like I said... I gave up on JavaScript because of the "extra" browser window I thought it will always pop-up. So I thought I had to use ActionScript. Anyways... now I know, and I thank you and oldnewbie for all the help and the knowladge.

Banned
    The extra window only comes up when you test your movie in the application itself. Through the html (as this should really be tested), no such window.