A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 1 player Vs 1 player online realtime game

Hybrid View

1 player Vs 1 player online realtime game

Hi,

would you need a dedicated server to run a 1 on 1 player, realtime online flash game? if so what kind of server would you need?, and if not, how many users could you have playing 1 on 1 games at the same time?

I've seen something somewhere about something called Unity, from colin mook, can this be used for a real time 1 on 1 player game?

and is it better to create this type of game in Flash 5 or MX?

where's a good place to find out information on this type of thing? (apart from Flaskit)

thanks

phil.

*looks up at The Grand Multiplayer Thread*

this was all the rage about six months ago. just search on the keyword 'multiplayer' in this forum and you'll find a million threads.

The only person I've seen get it going on a larger scale is kyled and his space game with a php socket server. Otherwise, it's always a work in progress (including myself).

You might want to look at
    http://www.electrotank.com/ElectroServer/

Free up to 5 users

I'm interested in the commercial aspects of running a multiplayer game, such as

1) how much they cost to setup?
    2) Can you actually make money from them?
    3) There are other non-flash online games around, are these better/cheaper then Flash multiplayer games?

any ideas?

phil.

If your game is good, then nothing stops you from making money with it

Surely you cant say non-Flash games are better/cheaper then Flash games. Some Flash games are great, some are terrible, some non-Flash games are free, some cost money.

no I meant if someone wanted to develop an commercial online game, would they be better off doing it in flash, or just programming it straight in C++?, I remember playing a dog fighting online game last year, and that wasn't in Flash, and seemed to be quite successfull.

Are there any unique qualities that flash brings to the table, that just programming it in C++, java, Direct X8/9 would't have.

phil.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Flash is simple to make games with. Many people already have it installed. Small download for plug-in. Flash is a common plug-in as well.

Since Flash is simple, it also limits what you can do compared to making something from scratch in Java or something. Flash is pretty slow. If your game ends up running slow, there might not be anything you could do for it.

There's so much you can do with Flash. I'm amazed by stuff I see on this board all of the time. People are always pushing limits. I'm wondering when Macromedia will release 7 and what features it'll add to the table...

I guess it would all depend on your expectations if you'd plan on using Flash.