A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question for you Linux Boffs again...

Question for you Linux Boffs again...

I ditched Mandrake and invested in RedHat 9!
    Very kinky app it is too!
    Seems the LILO issue was just with Mandrake - installed with LILO no worries, then though better of it and used GREB or whatever it's called

Now this one should be simple - no where NEAR as awkward as the last post!

I have RedHat9 on a 6Gig mounted at Secondary Slave, and a 40Gig Win 9x Install on Primary Master (which I assume is set to Active Boot drive!).
    I want to get SAMBA going so I can read the Linux App downlaods I have on the Win drive - I WOULD just download them in Linux, but seeing as I am poor, I cant afford a non WinModem for a few weeks!

Now If I just wire up the Linux drive at the same time as My Windows Drive - will I just get windows, OR will the Bootloader appear?
    I have the Boot Disk for RH9 - but configuring the Booter will just be a oin - and may mean a reinstall etc!

Any help is aprreciated
    Cheers
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

just to clarify, you want to get files off your windows formatted drives on the same computer? Not across a metwork?

If that is the case....

I run Mandrake and Win XP on the same box. When in Linux I go to the "control center" and select "Block Devices", this shows all the partitions on both my hard drives, I can then select one of the partitions and right click then select "open filemanager". This gives me access to all the files on that drive. Even if its a WIndows formated partition.

Its not Smaba but its a lot simpler, I don't know how similar it would be with red hat though.

How are you finding Red Hat? I tried red hat 7.3 but had troubloe with it. All seems fine with Mandrake though.

I use SUSE on campus in the Linux Labs, I keep meaning to download it to go give it a go at home but haven't got round to it yet. (I have broadband at home, wouldn't try it with Dial Up!!!)

Hope this vaguely helped.

I'll try that!
    The main problem is I am too lazy to rejumoper the drives to make the Linux drive Primary Master and the Win Drive Primary slave

Red Hat 9 is cool!
    Installed like a charm, and on my p233 @500 wth 512 installed 1.8 gig total in about 35 mins - with 2 CD changes! And yeah - its local machine
    So the Bootloader - thats the main issue!
    As soon as the Windoze drive is hooked up Win98'll take over boot commands - unless.....
    I COULD force boot to linux!
    But nah - I installed Linux as a single drive!
    If I put the windows one in the linux drive is gonna HAVE to be primary master isnt it!
    Damn its too darn early in the morning to be jumpering drives!

On a light note however - I did just find the RMP for the KyroII AGP Cartd I spent 3 days looking for
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

i think my windows drive is primary master and linux is slave. It seems to use Lilo as a boot manager so I always get Linux by default which is a little annoying but I don't turn it off very often except to reboot between OSs so its not a huge problem.

Ok, you're saying that Linux is on drive one, and Windows is on drive two?

Plug them both in, set to boot from ide0 if you have to in BIOS.

Now, linux should boot.

The first hard drive is called /dev/hda
    The second is called /dev/hdb

So, in Linux open a command prompt (xterm, konsole, any of them), and then type this:
    su
    And enter the root password.

Now change directory to /mnt (mounting directory)
    cd /mnt

Now, make a directory, we'll call it windows:
    mkdir windows

We can now mount our windows stuff into it with this command (you will need to be this each boot... for simplicity put this in the file /ect/rc.d/rc.local):

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb /mnt/windows

And that's it! All the windows files should appear under /mnt/windows

If you want to edit them, then try this line:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb /mnt/windows -o defaults,uid=500,gid=500,umask=022,user

This means that group id 500 and user id 500 can edit the files (set up appropriate users and groups in System Settings > Users and groups)

So that will work even though I cant actually see the winblows drive at all under Linux?
    Right - I'll write that down seeing as my printer is dead
    Will let you know the results in a bit

And if I ghet that mounted OK, I can just edit GRUB to get Windows in the Boot Option list?

Cheers for that - Mounted AOK and I accessed the VFAT no problems!

Next question
    Your gonna hate me for this one!

I have a KyroII Prophet 4500 and found a nice driver for redhat 7.2!
    I accessed the RPM from my windows drive and it said I had a dependant file missing - the damn Kernel!

Shouldnt a 7.2 driver be backwards compatible in RedHat 9?

Its not a major issue as I dont use 3d in Linux, BUT I rwally want to get my 1024 768 resolution back