A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic text won't appear?

dynamic text won't appear?

Hello all,

I am having a problem with getting a dynamic text field to pick up a variable. I am using Flash 5 and the url is http://www.sarahellerby.com/new/ the area I am relating to here is in deep. On this page you will notice scrolling pictures that you can control with your mouse. These are buttons inside a movie clip that scrolls up and down and I used actionscript to control it. This is not my problem.
    My problem is this. When you rollover the buttons I attempted to set a variable to my Dynamic Text Field. This does not work, hence my post.

the path is set like this _root.scrollclip.allMC

inside of scrollclip are:
    the Dynamic text Box variable name is idCaption

inide allMC are the pictures as buttons to link to urls

here is the AS on the buttons

on (rollOver) {
    idCaption = "Off to a party. Could my pants be pulled up any more?";
    }

the only reason that the dynamic text box is not on the same timeline is that the pictures timline is controled by the scrolling. and the text should remainn static.

I can email the .fla but I will not attempt to post it as the last one I attempted did not load correctly.

What am I missing? I have tried _global.idCaption and that did not work either.

Please help.

Thanks,

mmhmmm

try:

scrollclip.idCaption = "Off to a party. Could my pants be pulled up any more?";

Also remember you can't mask dynamic text in flash 5. (Just incase you were trying to)

you can mask dynamic text if it's embeded.
    gparis

thanks for the suggestion.

unfortunately scrollclip.idCaptions = "blahblahblah" did not work niether has _root.scrollclip.idCaptions = "blahblahblah"
    the problem seems to be getting the variable out one movie clip instance. the dynamic text box is in the scrollclip MC and inside of that is the allMC which is where the buttons define the variable. in other words the buttons are in a movieclip instance that is in the same movieclip instance as the dynaic text box. at least that was where I thought it should go. maybe that is the problem.

I will try and upload the file if would help out.

thanks,

mmhmmm