A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: looking for whoswe?

as said b4, i don't see why you couldn't just keep the old domain name. esp if bandwith isn't an issue.

and i don't really consider loading up files with 3d anims exploring (as opposed to "following" as previously said)... its nice to watch, but unless you come out with some crazy small filesizes @ the same time, its not that revolutionary.

and i don't really see how there is any correlation between having a 2mb site compared to 8mb trailers on apples site. i can still get into apples site without a preloader, unlike whoswe. trailers are little goodies for ppl with broadband, but are pretty non-essential usually.

not wanting to just be slamming on whoswe or anything. i mean, all the power to them if they can do their thing the way they want to. if it pays the bills, then do it whichever way u want.

but i don't see the problem with some open dialog and criticism. as previously said, take it or leave it, but don't let it get you all hot and bothered

FAO Nevil and Aversion.

serious appologies for what i wrote up top.
    re-reading my post it doesnt actually make sense why i said what i did.
    so again appologies.

nevil, no disrespect to you, i respect your work 100% as i have a similar work style.

as aversion said, it had no relevance to the current thread.
    appologies again mate.
    i might have to try and engage my brain before i type next time

*sits back in the corner with the dunce hat*
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...
    Rockdirect base, 17" laptop.
    core duo 2.3ghz 512mb graphics
    2gb ram 80gb hdd +goodies.

Originally posted by No-Tec
    yo, aversion and nevil relax for a second.
    tag team this kid why dont you.
    im sure he just heard that source thing somewhere. he didnt just pull it out of the blue. you could have cleared it up for him a little nicer. sheesh.

nice work WW.
    yeah i was told that, thats why i commented... but then at the same time im not sure why i did make the comment as i respect theory7 work.

oh well, whats done is done.
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...

no worries onionboy, sorry if I was a little 'heated' but I know how much work nevil puts into his work.

cheers

Originally posted by aversion
    no worries onionboy, sorry if I was a little 'heated' but I know how much work nevil puts into his work.

cheers
    same as. im a regular visitor to his site and respect his work.
    hence why i couldnt figure out why i made that statement
    i dont normally come out with that kind of crap.
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...

my main man elvis once said "All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me"

so NOW LETS ALL GROUP HUGE...
    i love you'll

budget.

aversion.

what you said earlier about 2a and ww.

i see your point that they didnt drop the name.

thinking about it, it doesnt actually make any sense what so ever.
    no matter how secretive they want to be about what they can or cant say.
    removing or changing a name is a bad, bad... BAD idea.
    it gets rid of your loyal fanbase, any old clients and ok you may tell them, but what about word of mouth?

seems an odd decision.

unless there was some sort of legal reason to do with the whoswe name?

recently we had to change a clients branding as a russian company had apparently copyrighted the name about 6 years ago. we only found out by chance.

unless old pacho or ceo blokey come online and tell everyone the exact reason why i doubt we will ever figure it out.

Lol @ budget
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...

Originally posted by nevil
    firstly you didn;t answer the first question, you just said that you still have plenty of work on?!

secondly you are saying that the big deal with 3D in flash is some kind of special optimization, which your site definately does not have, the files are huge, so where is the optimization?

Thirdly I remember when your site first launched everyone loved it but lots of people commented on the preloader and that fact that you have just said that you are re-doing the preloader kind of sums it up, all I am doing is giving my opinion on something that could be improved, take it or leave it.

You guys really need to learn to take critisism, some of my early sites where torn apart by the flash community and I used these comments to improve myself and earn the respect of others, I think this is what you guys need to do.
    Yes, I did answer your question. I told you I could not answer you directly, but assured you that it does not affect our workload.

Secondly, Our site is only huge to those on dialup (hence the apple trailers comment). There was plenty of optimization taken into consideration when we constructed our site. The typical user would have most likely simply exported jpegs from a 3d app and imported them into flash. The only reason you have to claim our files are huge is obviously because of Who's We and Theory7's difference in business models. We don't sell messageboards, 3d movies and video games... and so, your loading time is good for what you do. Who's We on the other hand is a creative agency, so stimulation is imperative. Believe it or not, that 3meg file in the "how we do it" section actually help land our biggest connection. So for you to think that we don't know how to take criticism is futile. We obviously know what we are doing if we are growing every year. Our boss man best said it; "Do things YOUR way, that way nobody can tell you- you are wrong". We also understand that one should take into consideration the thoughts and critiques of the masses, but we are a creative agency, the ones responsible for new ideas, new angles, new approaches... us designers are responsible for what society perceives as "mainstream". ... so AGAIN... the preloader fit well with our initial launch (regardless if you and a few buddies thought it was dodgy), because for every two of you, there are tens of thousands of people thinking it was clever...and THAT is a lesson in marketing 101 my friend. There is a reason why we do not allow the customer "behind the counter" when we design, because once you do, they want bevels, drop shadows and lens flares on EVERYTHING, but on the other hand pop culture will always rule the masses...

furthermore, I could have told you that your site looks too similar to egomedia's site and that it lacked originality, but I didn't (even though every designer I know had the same feelings) just as you and your buddies thoughts about our preloader. So look at you now, you're growing and doing fine.

Thank you for your time guys. I will most likely not come around for a while... these deadlines are killin me. Adios amigos y buena suerte.

keep your eyes busy.
    Last edited by PanchoPimp_XL; 05-28-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Haha.
    You guys got burned lol.
    Wait. i got burned too.
    dang.
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    This has turned into kind of a negative thread when we should all be letting these guys push the envelope by encouraging them and maybe they will be less likely to run away and instead be a big part of this network here at flashkit. Some of you need to sit on your comments and realize what they have achieved. It seems we have become complacent in our own skillz and forget that most people out there enjoy eye candy a great deal and would take this site over yours any day of the week regardless of how the silly prealoader looks comapred to a some 'NEAT' one you created. Im sure there is a forum out there that bashed Terminator and im sure one was just created to bash the new Matrix for the lack of substance but when the it comes right down to it people flock to see it regardsless! Im suprised this representative from WW dignified a second response to what was clearly unwarranted. Im shocked that we have become so fickle about ripping off 2a and when someone does break the mold we still are not satisfied? Offensive critisism just looks like jealosu behavior when your talking about a site like this!

keep it up WW i admire your work a grat deal!!! i look forward to your next release

grat = great
    and and everything else concider ebonics
    Last edited by Dr.Funk; 05-28-2003 at 06:30 PM.

this is a pretty negative thread on both sides. just close it.

and pancho pimp is so the man. more power to you and your ingenious ideas bro. viva la ww.
    maybe.

No need to close it, another will come along soon enough.

does nobody else respect this company then?
    i know there are a couple of people here, but they are proving that design doesnt have to be serious.

i know there will be mass critisism though.
    the same happened to david carson when he entered the world of print. so it kinda stands to reason that there will be jealous/haters out there.

in some ways it comes down to personal opinion. not everyone likes the conservative website. but some businesses do.
    not everyone likes fun, in your face websites, but obviously some do...

i think ww are doing a good thing for the web.
    you have ww showing the world that the web is fun and interactive. you have juxt that create beautiful sites, 2a that create mind blowing ott sites, and you have others that make the minimal sites, and even more than make plain nav, noraml conservative type sites.

does nobody love the fact that we have so much freedom to do all this stuff? and that there is such a variety of design styles about?

personally i love it. it shows that the web is starting to loosen up a bit
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...

i think everyone hates WW because they got on top prcactically within a day of the release of their website. people forget about them for a few months now they are one of the best teams out there. the higher you are on the corperate food chain, the more haters. comes with the territory. i can guarentee nevil and aversion have respect for what they've done, and just cover it up with remarks...
    Last edited by No-Tec; 05-29-2003 at 08:20 AM.
    maybe.

Banned by GMF ™
    ultimate fighting makes you retarded.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    I think people need to read through this thread more carefully, somehow it has turned out that myself and aversion are WW haters which isn't the case at all, I got pissed off at a comment someone else made about my site ripping ego7. With ww I simply made comments about certain things that I thought where a bad idea or should be changed, at no point have I said I was a ww hater, it's funny how people twist things, these threads are like chinese wispers.

twist things? like thinking that one kid blatently just said "ur site is ripped from E7" and proceeded to eat him alive.
    maybe.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Originally posted by No-Tec
    twist things? like thinking that one kid blatently just said "ur site is ripped from E7" and proceeded to eat him alive.
    yeh, exactly that has nothing to do with whos we, I was eating that kid alive not whos we, and I was previously being acused of being a ww hater? when I was just giving my opinion on some things that I thought should be addressed, how does this make me a ww hater?

just because some people are giving criticism doesn't mean they are jealous haters. if you think all the "negavtive" comments are just about hating, then I don't really know what to say. i hope when people give you criticism on your own work you won't think they just hate you.

But if you "love the freedom to do all this stuff" as said, don't you also respect the freedom of others to give their opinions, whether positive or not?

i think my main point is criticism doesn't equal hatred or jealousy.
    uh, yeah i guess thats it

lmao, i love the way what ever i say gets turned around.

first up i wasnt saying your site was a rip at all. and second of all i appologised for my comments, they were out of line and i dont even know what i was trying to say.... which i have made clear.

also, less of the kid

as for the haters comment, that was a geaneralisation of all the threads that have been made about ww, it is clear that a lot of people have beef with this company for no reason what so ever.
    i wasnt pointing fingers at you as quite clearly you had a point to make.
    i was talking about all the other 'kid's or whatever, that generally just hate this company for who they are.

jeez.
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...