A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: website creating

website creating

When making an entire website with flash mx do you save each individual page as different files or do you do all the pages on the same timeline or something.
    Cheers
    The End Is Nigh

Yes every page has to be a different movie. So when someone clicks on a different page you will use loadmovie action on that button. Maybe someone else can be more detailed on this.

mantric.net
    You can do it all in one file which will make it easier for the user (no additional loading) but you run into updating problems when you have to reload the entire file to update. And it's a ***** to do compared to the loadMovie method.

Pretty much you make a main movie with the layout and several external files that would be all your different "pages." Then you use loadMovie type functions assigned to buttons, etc.

Banned
    Every page doesn't have to be a new movie! Depends on content, size, etc...

Check this... Which does load a new movie for each section, but as I said, that's not allways necessary!

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/full_site.htm

Using scenes and _level's in addition to loadMovie you can accomplish a lot within a short amount of time (load time that is), rather than packing it all in one big swf...pretty standard fare these days.

Which is the best way? I bought a book “The MX Project” and to them the load movie is the best way. I didn’t know there was another way. I like to know before I get to far building my site.

P.S. I looking for easiest to update and have less problems

As oldnewbie says, it depends on size, content etc.

For a main structures, I like to build in levels using LoadMovie and use both _level/scenes to separate specific content within a given swf. For extremely large projects, this is the only way to go, IMO.

For ease of updating, keep a schematic handy, I like Visio myself, of your organizational plan. A hardcopy roadmap that you can refer to on a whiteboard when you get lost in _level hell is invaluable.

Also please do all developers a favor and document/comment your code. This will save you and whoever takes over years from now, tons of time and money.

Good Luck!

thanx people
    The End Is Nigh

I'm Pretty™
    There is no wrong or right way to structure a full flash website - there is only bad execution. It all depends on size, structure, complexity, what you actually want to achieve, design...
    Thankyou kindly
    Plumb