A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three questions

Three questions

1st:
    Is it possible to tween an object without first turning it into a symbol?

2nd:
    Does anyone have a simple toutorial on loading external text files?

3rd:
    Is it possible to write to an external text file through the use of flash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and have a good day.

Lorren

1, Technically speaking, an 'Object' in flash is a symbol. It's much easier to control a movie clip and there is no reason not to use them.

2, I have a number of fla's for loading external text, if you describe what your looking for maybe I can attach one.

3, Text files are made using Windows Notepad or other text editors.

1st:
    yea...sorry about that...im not "hip" with the lingo yet.

2nd:
    yea...that would be great...if you could attach one i would really appreciate it.

3rd:
    What i SHOULD have said is "is it possible to write to a text file with the use of a text box and a button in an swf".

What i am looking for (loading external text files) is some type of code that can do just that...im not looking for anything speacial...just somthing...

Here are two text loaders. One is no scroll, one is with scrolling. Both use text files, the scrolling one you can use html in the text file.

Input text will write to some kind of file, but I've never used it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks...ill see if my simple mind can get these things working...

Well, they're already working. All you need do is change the text in the txt files.

That scroller one is intersting though. The easiest one I've seen so far, and you can just keep adding to the text file and it scrolls right no matter how long it is.

thanks again...

but...

i tried to put it in my movie as part of a window and i cant get it to work in my own...if theres any way you can send me a file or something that will explain how i can modify it and put it im my own movie that would be great.(does the script snippet in the first frame have to stay in the first frame of the movie or can i put it in the first frame of a movie clip[in which the text feild and buttons are placed]?)

thanks ahead of time...

Edit>>> Correction, some changes.

In the scrolling movie with the loaded text, add this to position it when it loads:

this._x = 10;
    this._y = 10;
    loadVariables ("loaded_text.txt", this);

This tells it to load to x 10, y 10 of the main movie. Change the 10's to where ever you want the top left corner to sit.

In your main movie you want to load this to, you use this in a frame when you want it to load:

loadMovieNum("scrolltxt.swf", 10);

This loads it to level 10. Before, it went to level 0, but that's no good in a movie cause that's the root level and will replace whatever else was there.

This works, I've tested it.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-01-2003 at 02:31 AM.

my window script already places the mc in an area(costomizable)

i tried inserting the

loadVariablesNum ("scrollnews.txt", 0);

in bolth the mc and the main timeline and it didnt seem to work either way...

and im trying to duplicate the scrolltxt.swf file. do i still need to use the loadMovieNum(); part?

Check the post above, I changed it. The scroller was loading into level 0, well, that won't work cause level 0 is root, and that would replace anything in your main movie. So it goes to level 10 now, with changes in the scroll movie code.

Ok...im a tard...

Im getting so lost here that my head is starting to hurt...could you direct me to a toutorial that will help me with this?

Why don't you describe in detail just what your trying to do? Are you using the scrolling text fla I attached, and your wanting to load this into a main movie swf you have? Your confusing me with this line: "my window script already places the mc in an area(costomizable)
    " Not sure what 'window' your talking about.

sorry...

what i am trying to do is take the contents of the fla called scrolltxt.swf you gave me in the zip file and put them in my own movie...ive copied everything in your file exactly(i think).

the "window" i am talking about is a mc that is called by a button using the attachMovie method and placed on the stage. i am trying to put the contents of scrolltxt.swf in the mc.

i am not trying to load scrolltxt.swf into my movie. i am merely trying to copy its contents into my movie.

Im really sorry if im becoming a pain in the ass but im getting just as frustrated with myself as you must be wiht me.

If you think you got it all copied over to the movie clip in the library correctly, test the movie clip to see if it works from there, (Ctrl+Alt+Enter). If that works, then use attachMovie and load to level10. Or go back to loadMovieNum, like I gave above. I know that works fine.

Ive figured out how to load the text into a dynamic text field(thanks) but now i cant get the scroll buttons to work...can ya help me out?

I'd almost have to see your fla to help. I can't reproduce what your trying to do.

ok...ill upload it and if you decide you want to look at it and help me out then i would be very greatful...just be warned...its very messy right now...

damnit...it says its too big to upload it...is there a place i can send it to? if not ill upload it to my web server and give you the address...

Ya, zip it if you can and put it on the server. Include the txt file.