dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick Question on pop up window with flash

Quick Question on pop up window with flash

I was directed to a very usful site that generated the java script to be used in flash to create a customized pop up window.

this is the code that I used placed on a button inside a flash movie.

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:NewWindow=window.open('Home.htm ','newWin','width=750,height=400,left=25,top=30,to olbar=No,location=No,scrollbars=No,status=No,resiz able=No,fullscreen=No'); NewWindow.focus(); void(0);" );
    }

Problem::this works fine. But I want the window to open in self. rather than a seperate window. I am sure it is simple I am just not familiar with java.

Thanks for your time Patrick

_self is used to open another html page in the same window your already in. Has nothing to do with a popup. Simply use a getURL on a button to do that.

on(release){
    getURL("http://www.mysite.com", "_self");
    }

Banned
    Nope! Not possible!

Edit: Iaskwhy... Guess he wants those features set in the popup!

If I go about it using _self like you said. Is there a way to incorerate the window size no scroll ect. like in the script I posted?
    Thanks Patrick

P.S. What I have right now is the index page checking for flash then giving them and enter button to press. Once pressed I want the window to fit my mc exactly. So far though the enter page remains behind it. I have to the window to close with java script. But with most browsers it asks permition of the viewer to close. So that is why I am looking for a way for it to open in self but with exact fit and no scroll ect.
    Last edited by quarterturn; 06-01-2003 at 12:04 AM.

Sounds almost like you want a chromeless window in the size of the movie, but there is no way to have just that in anything less than fullscreen. Well, I have seen less than full screen browsers launched, but that's annoying, cause you'd see the desktop behind it. Not sure you could even do that without another window behind it.

Ah, maybe you could resize the browser and load another page at the same time, but you'd still get the desktop behind it.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-01-2003 at 12:13 AM.

I agree with you. Never really thought about it that why.
    What do you recommend then for a browser size? I made a site once to fit 800 x 600 res. but people complained that used aol ect. because of there interface they had to scroll to see it all. Is there a general standard for that?

Thanks for the reply
    Patrick

P.P.S. Iaskwhy I don't know if you remember but I once asked about an mp3 player that streamed but you could rewing ect. I sent you to alice peacocks web site for an example. You mentioned that it was using external swf files. Well I figured it out thank you very much
    When I get this fixed with the browser window I'll Have my bands site up I send you a link so you can see it
    Last edited by quarterturn; 06-01-2003 at 12:19 AM.

I never go with more than 785X450. That will pretty much fit the working area of a browser on a monitor set for 800x600. The final word depends on how many toolbars the visitor has living at the top of his screen, but the viewing area is usually at least 400 pixels tall, and 785 leaves enough for the right hand scrollbar, even though I use a body tag to remove it. 450 may be pushing it a bit for height, but 400 should be safe for anyone that opens their windows full size. Then you always got those who never use a full screen window, your not going to please them.

Ah yes, I remember now. Knew I'd seen the name before. So you got it working?

Yeah I have most everything ready. The whole sites in flash.
    Where can I send you a link when its ready?

Go to that Some Tut's link in my footer. There's a contact link there. Or PM me.

Did it turn out to be an external swf? I've been playing with those myself. You can set the sound in a mc layer, set the Sync to Streaming, and it will act like a streaming sound, but you can control it like an event sound or a streaming sound. Ends up compressing the mp3 way down too, but, it still has to load the whole thing.

Yeah I got it to work exactly like that site example I showed you even the lyrics on the side. I can send you the files If you want. Just excuse all my horrid actionscripting.

I'd love to see it.

Check your PM.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-01-2003 at 01:12 AM.

How long are you going to be online for.. I am going to publish the new site. (I have dial up though ) so it may take a while. But when I finish that I will send you the link and the files. It only takes about 10 to 25 secs per song to buffer too w/ 56 k modem.
    IM me @ quarterturnband@aol.com if you would like to talk more about it.

Ya know, I just looked at qt music player v4.fla yesterday to see if I could figure it out some more. Isn't that a coincedence?

I have some sound fla files from the bible that show how to preload streaming sounds, but I've been so busy I never got to them.

I thnk thats the only thing I dont have on this new player is a buffer
    or preloader. But I am sure I can figure something out for it. You'll see what I mean when I send you the files. The music is inside an external swf like you suggested.

"quarterturn"!?

Realize that this post isn't quite new. But I am having the same problem and came across your post.

I'm curious, how did you resolve the problem?

The site I'm working on is also made at 800 x 600. When launched on smaller monitor or PC, AOL - lots of scrolling for navigation happens.

I was hoping that maybe you came up with a solution.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    28DL