A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: No more a newbie, but almost I think :-) Please help

No more a newbie, but almost I think :-) Please help

Hi all

well - thanks for all your help a few weeks ago. I have worked for many hours with 3dfa and feel like I've only just scratched the surface of the program. I've finished a couple of the keyboard demonstration flash movies that I posted about a while ago.

Now, a question I have is - on the buttons, I have a link to a specific scene on mouse up. However, when clicked ONCE, the movie goes to the correct scene, but when clicked again, the movie just jumps to the next scene, getting out of the correct scene. see
    http://www.customtyping.com/tutorials/kb/easy_hard.htm

If you click on 'easy keys' once, it goes to the correct scene. But while in 'easy keys' if you click on the button again, it goes to the 'hard keys' scene ??? But it doesn't go to the 'opening scene'. (there are three scenes in this movie). I can't attach the 3dfa file - it's huge.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Bridgette
    Bridgette

Wonderful !!

Never seen "Pinochio" fingers before !

Why not zip the movie and place it on your website for a day and post a link with the url here, so we can download the file. Or create a slimmed down variant with minimal code except that which jumps to each movie segment.

Never heard of my keyboard demos as 'pinnochio fingers' - thought that was cute. I couldn't do it any other way since my graphics skills are so basic - I couldn't even think of doing something with real fingers or 3D graphics.

I have zipped the files up into two zip files.
    I''ll attach one here and another to the next message.

Thanks so much for the help.
    Bridgette

Just realized - files are much to big for here even if I split them up - I'll put them on the web
    Thanks
    Bridgette

OK - zip file link is about 1MB in size and is on
    http://www.customtyping.com/tutorials/kb/easy_hard.htm

Thanks
    Bridgette

OK I have a fix for you.

It looks like the scenes are not halting when they encounter the Stop movie command. This may be a bug in V4.4 I did not test in other movies yet. Also I note you were using a message "Click 2 Times" and sure enough the problem was always on the second click. Maybe you were trying to work around the problem. That still exists and should not. One click of the button down or up should be OK.

Q. Does anyone else see a problem in V4.4 clicking on a button and finding the event does not work every other time?
    or Anyone have the Stop event inside a scene event list fail?

Probably not, but I think its the Stop event failure thats making it look like a button problem. No wonder you were flummoxed - it took me a while and some debugging to realise it.

Anyway the immediate fix is to add two more scenes with just a Stop Movie event in each and place the scenes after each of your current scenes.

See picture below.

Can you please email support@3dfa.com and include this Flashkit page url. Send them the entire zipped files
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carnwath; 06-02-2003 at 06:11 AM.

or hide the button for easy when in Easy and hide the button for hard when in hard and show button for go to start

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've got it working well now - I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks again!

Another quick question along the same lines...

http://www.customtyping.com/tutorial..._fingering.htm

If the user types keys on the keyboard, the correct fingering will show. However, there doesn't seem to be a way that the user can type a LEFT shift or RIGHT shift and have it shown on the onscreen keyboard? Is there a way to do this? In the 'keyboard input' on 3dfa there is only 1 Shift option.

Thanks