dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you make a button invisible?

How do you make a button invisible?

I know it has something to do with alpha controls on the color mixer board, but I can't get it to work.

Please help me. I'm new

One of the simplest ways that I like to use, is simply leave the up over and down states blank, and define a hit area. I don't know about 4 or 5, but it works in MX. I use it when the first frame of a movie clip is blank and I want a reference to edit it in place.

What do you mean define a hit area? and up and down states?

Theres two ways to do it...kinda...

One way is to open the button symbol by double clicking it, selecting what you want to make inviseble(if everything just click on the layer next to the timeline), open the color mixer(window>color mixer)
    , find the alpha option, and change it to 0.

The other way is to (in the main timeline) select the button symbol, and in the properties panel there will be a color option...select alpha from the drop down menu and change it to 0...

Thats about it...Have FUN!

Banned

Hey,

Easiest way is to just defiene a hit area definebasic101 said.

Make a new button, to do this open the libary, Window-Libary,(or hit F11) then click the new symbol on it, change it to button and hit ok.

Then it should be sraight foward from there... there should be 4 frames, Up, Over, Down, Hit... Leave all of them blank except the one called HIT... in there just throw a box in there of how big you want the button to be, and then thats it, you won't see anything on screen, but the hit area will be what ever sizxe you amde the box.

Ian

is there a reason that alpha shouldnt be used in this case? jw so i dont make the mistake in my own movies(and so i dont screw with others movies when they ask for help.

I wouldn't use a shape with alpha = 0, simply because sometimes (it seems to depend on the background you put the button over) the button will still be slightly visible. If you use the hit area to make the hidden button this never happens

Hey,

I don't think ther eis a reason alhap shouldn't be used, cept for the fact that it's more hassel than doing it the other way.

Simply the alpha can be used, but why... the button thing in MX is already there and so much easier, and quicker. Also trims size by almost nothing, but will help if your trying to cut down on a few kbs I assume.

Ian