dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Could Use Some Experienced Advice

Hybrid View

Shameless Newstoday Plug

Could Use Some Experienced Advice

I got a "job" at a design firm a couple months ago. Right from the start I figured something was... not fishy... but rather, less than reliable. For one, my interviewer, the head of the company, FORGOT she had a interview with me. Okay, I thought, we all have our bad days and stuff. But the fact that they did not update the address of the firm on their site somewhat struck me as somewhat confusing.

Anyways, when I faxed her back the contract she e-mailed me, she did not send me a signed contract w/ her signature.

So I called the firm three times, and I said, "Can I speak to so and so," and they were always, "she's not in," or "she's busy, can I take a message?" So I gave my name and phone number, and wouldn't you know it, she did not call me back.

Surprisingly she answered my numerous e-mails saying that she gave projects to other people and that the firm's public party would be in a couple weeks. She still ignored the whole contract issue.

It's two months later, and I still haven't got a project or an actual phonecall. When I e-mail the owner, she still acts as if I were hired or something, yet I still don't have a signed contract or any work.

Now, it is easy to say, "well things look bad so you should look elsewhere," but honestly, the job situation for design where I am is not exactly spectacular. The fact that I even got interviewed is amazing considering I'm still somewhat young and inexperienced. Plus, I'm strapped for money, and I don't want to waste the summer looking for another job while it gets closer and closer to go back to Uni.

I honestly don't know what to do. On one hand, I don't want to let my pride get in my way and say to myself, "I'm too good for this" and then walk away, but on the other hand, if they treat me in this manner, I can't imagine how perhaps they treat their clients. It's simply unprofessional. I gave them leeway in the beginning because they had just moved from one place to another, so I understood perhaps why she may overlooked my interview. But, I'm both angry and sad at the fact that this job has slipped away, perhaps not for good, but it does seem distant.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

sounds like you're putting yourself on almost too equal ground between yourself and the company (and the employees of the company).

it's not hard to believe that people in positions to hire others have a lot going on and while a summer job is important to you, it may not be the biggest cause of concern for the person/company that will or will not hire you. i'm kinda basing this on your statement, "if they treat me in this manner, I can't imagine how perhaps they treat their clients"...well, their clients are clients, and you're summer help. no offense, but look at it from that perspecitive.

secondly, as far as people and jobs not getting back to you when you think they should, the only thing i can say is get used to it.

i used to get excited as all hell when i'd send out a proposal or go on an interview or if i got a chick's number. interviews and proposals come and go....that's what the cliche "if you throw enough mud on the wall, something's gotta stick" comes from.

i'm surprised it's been two months for you, but i'd sure as hell not rely on this to be your big thing for the summer, that's for sure.

don't take it harsh, but it sounds like they gave you your answer a while ago. and if you get something new in a week and they call you back, evaluate it then...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Rule #1.

Take everything as a 'maybe', until the money is in the bank.

erova's information is certainly more useful - I just offer you the condensed version
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    That's new advice.

No one has offered that before.

I think I based my position as the same as my friend who has like a very consistent job at a design firm. I suppose the difference is that that firm was much larger and therefore had a rather obscene amount of work to be done, so therefore he'd always be needed.

Likewise, the firm owner of my job really sounded like she needed everyone, so that's why I suppose I thought I would have stuff to do.

In any case, thanks for the response, it was a bucket of cold water.

I think too, that a lot of companies like to have people (designers) 'ready to go' or 'on the books' in case that BIG project hits and they're left short of talent.

Though, I wouldn't believe it in this case. Sounds to me like they've figured your spark is a bit too bright for their liking and they would prefer to 'work' with someone not so insistent on 'the paperwork'.

Anyway, I only said what I said so as you're not left thinking that this is the job for you and if you only wait a week or two more, then they'll be giving you the call. Forget it, move on, it's their loss, keep your self-worth and find someone ready to deal professionally with you.
    Last edited by hurricaneone; 06-03-2003 at 11:52 AM.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Yeah, I really do appreciate the response though, designers telling me straight up to not be too idealistic in my thinking, as I do think I should have seen this earlier. Like I said though, the job situation is less than satisfactory right now, so it can be easy to get caught up into being comfortable without looking for another placement.

Trust me pahtnah, anyone who came into this industry and said he or she didn't feel the same way you're feelin now at one point or another is probably lying or is still with their very first client.

Funny thing is, however jaded I get, whatever kind of less-than-perfect (personal) experience I end up having, I still think this design gig is great fun.

It's worth the crap, just for that time you get a good customer, one that appreciates and respects your talent and opinion, lets you get on with it ('cause they know you know more about it than they do), they deal up a fair price and the check doesn't end up bouncing.

Sweet.

Well, what it sounds like is that they are putting you on an "on call" basis, any using you when they need something done. What I would do if I were you is to email them/give them a visit, and demand right up front a contract to be signed. Also, many people are afraid of lawyers. Try contacting one, just to get a name and an opinion backing you.

Let us know how it goes.

wow, a slightly different response, eh hurricane?

Originally posted by erova
    wow, a slightly different response, eh hurricane?
    Not so different - I have just learned (over time) to keep everything in perspective, so no waiting around for others to make the decisons for me and no thinking that the deal on the table will end up being the cure for my acute case of Poor disease.

nah dude, i meant YH's response about bringin in lawyers and demanding work...i meant that response is a little different than what we were talkin about...

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Once again, thanks for the responces.

Well... I don't know if I would say I'm "on call," as like I said, they never really got back to me on the contract.

Anyways, like what is suggested, I'm looking elsewhere.

Good luck, teow. I think you've made the right move by not waiting around for these guys to get back to you.

Hope you find something decent.

Former Member now elsewhere
    The original poster's issue isn't exclusive to web work... it's all of life.

I'm 37 kid, learn something and learn it fast:

1)What you can do for someone is valuable.

2)This means your time is valuable.

3)If they ain't paying, don't give it away for free or they'll suck all they can and string you along. THEY ARE OUT TO MAKE A PROFIT and every dime they save is PROFIT. Even if they save it by jerking you around.

4)The best attitude is that you'll do honest, valuable work for a company that treats you as if YOU and your time are valuable. If they deal with you straight, give them great work... But if they dink around like you're describing above then tell them to call you when they're ready to sign the bottom line AND that you'll be happy to talk to them... **if you're still available.**

That last part in *'s is NOT a challange nor is it an attitude... it's a casual statement of fact. Say it that way. "Well Ms. Smith, when you're ready to sign the contracts and give me my assignment give me a call. If I haven't already committed to another project by then, I'll be happy to help you out!(said up-beat and bright smile!!!)" Now LEAVE. Your time is valuable, you have to be somewhere. (Who cares where... just make sure Ms. Smith see's that you're a busy man with no time for B.S.)

YOU are valuable... if they want what you can do for them then they need to get it together and commit in a timely manner or lose you to someone else who will!

MOST IMPORTANT: It doesn't matter if there is anything else for you to really commit to or not... if they BELIEVE you have other irons in the fire by the way you handle yourself then they will feel urgency to act. If they sense that you are waiting on them (sitting and waiting for them to call) then they can take as long as they feel like.... while your cash gets lower and lower... if it gets low enough, then they can get you for less money because you're despirate.

And that, my man, is EXACTLY how managers hire for as little money as they can get away with. THey pay less because they try to starve out the unemployed into working for less money, which reduces payroll. And Payroll is the #1 expense in business... save on payroll and you can make a profit!

If you don't think managers in every industry do this, then you have a lot more to learn than what they teach in college.

Good luck!
    NCD