A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBJ demo release date.

OBJ demo release date.

Hi, there. Haven't come here in some time. I've been working like a dog at my summer job and I'm also taking summer school. I've pretty much finished up the demo for OBJ and I decided to release it on June 7th which is this saturday. I thought I'd give myself some more time, so that I can troubleshoot bugs if I find them and add finishing touches to it.

Unfortunately it's noticably slower than the engine I showed before, at least on my 667MHz cpu. It should run fine on machines faster than that.

Anyway, I just wanted to announce this here. I'll probably post in this thread again when I do release it.

ooh ooh ooh i cant wait to see the final game it will be awesome good work krill - looking forward to the release mate

edit:
    oh its a demo - oh well - still kool
    Last edited by leight; 06-03-2003 at 03:52 AM.

Imagine if leight's post was in English for a second. That's how I feel

Bring it on baby!

Squize.

PS. I've made a mental note not to release anything on Saturday 'cause it'll just get blown away

:)

Can't wait

Thanks, guys. I hope you won't be disappointed.

It's out now!

There was a performance hit, mainly due to the buildings, so it probably won't run smooth on machines slower than 700MHz.
    All the bug fixes and new features will go into the next version. I still need to do things like develop the mission scripting further to allow for more advanced missions, separate the car and people graphics from the engine, develop the scoring system further, and put in other features into it, like getting in/out of the car, and so on. But it wil all go into the next version.

There are no sounds in it, yet. I'll probably add those in a bit later. Markp has already written a loop for the sound track for me.

I'll probably take a break from it for a while and just try to promote the demo and maybe do a different, smaller game.

Hey kirill, as always looking awesome. I suppose i better show these guys mine soon

This is one of the best games thats been on here in a while...

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Thanks, random. I hope you post yours soon.

Nice work kid.

Wow.

Well worth the wait.

This'll be the benchmark for all GTA games in Flash.

Wow.

Minor things:
    The car handling could do with tweaking a little. It's kinda hard to put it into words but there's just something about it ( In saying that it may just be the way you've set it up, I don't expect the default care to have perfect handling ).
    It feels like you're a bit too close to the action. I know you can't really make the scroller's window any bigger without killing it. Could the cars be smaller ? I don't know, I'm just writing straight after playing it so my thoughts are still fresh so this post may be garbage. It's fine at the moment but for some situations you may need an increased field of vision, like if you have a sports car going at full speed down an open road you could quite easily plough into a building at the end. Perhaps a mini map ?

Anyway minor things aside it's still far and away the best thing I've seen posted here for a long time.

Well done mate.

Squize.

Now stay low for a while

Holy cow! That's amazing, Krill! I've been puting a few hours each week into my GTA engine, but now I think I'll just run into a corner and cry...

Seriously, fantastic work!

Thanks for the input.

I am considering a bigger screen. Making the cars smaller is a possible idea, too. I'll see about both of those.

I'm not sure about the handling. I've actually been told about it before. I guess I'll look into that, as well.

wow!
    that's just incredible! i love the 3D-ish visual (i'm still not sure how you did it), and the playability is very good.
    it's not so smooth with my old machine (it's time to update, i know ^^), but if it were smoother i have the feeling it would be too fast... not sure until i'll try it at work.

maybe some critics? ^^
    > some more variety of buildings walls would be nice (a bakery, a bar, a multimedia shop, a market ...etc)
    > you have put shadows to the building. i don't know how your fla is done, but if you can easily put all the sprites (cars, people etc) under the shadow layer, it will look so much more... "real"? i hope you understand what i just wrote ^^

other than that, it's so nice to be able to choose differents vehicles. will it affect the overall playability (speed ..etc)?

very very nice job, kirill

Thanks, marmotte.
    I know what you mean about the buildings. It's just that I was working alone on all those graphics and I was also trying to keep the file size down. Right now the size of the file with the buildings is 100Kbs. I was thinking of using photorealistic skins for the next version, so that will provide better looking texture and more variety.

My shadows are a bust, I know. They're part of the tiles themselves, because that's the solution I worked out at the time. I could put them into another layer above the tiles and the cars, which would fix that. I want to make them change the size for different sized buildings, too. I haven't thought of how I'd do that, yet, though.

I have a lot of work ahead of me for the next version as it looks.

oh Snap!

that was great, even on my pc running only 500mhz that was great. I agree with other that smaller cars would be kinda nice, and possibly a shaper turning radius?

only other comment is whats up with that bus that just spins around in circles?

anyways, incredible work, please continue to make this into a full game, feels just like GTA
    Foot...errr.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW - thats absolutly awewsome krill!!! looks like ill be giving my v8 game up that is definatly something that you should be ing about wow what can i say!!! awesoeme work mate!!! cant wait for the final release!!!btw there are some problems with the hitTest. keep up the awewsome work mate!!!

Absolutely amazed. The 3d building effect is stunning

Very well done Krill!

It's running smoothly on my computer (AMD 1.4GHz) and I like the 3D effect. The graphics is also very nice.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the car handling. It felt like the car stopped too quickly when you released the forward key.

Amazing!

Can i make 1 suggestion?

If you are thinking of making a bigger area, take into account what the GTA team did:

the faster you go, the further the camera pans out...

It means, when going slow its close, when getting faster u can see whats ahead!

Implement this, and the game will begin to feel more and more GTA

The_xell's idea would be good.

And as has been said before, the car stops to quickly. It feels like im pushing the car around, not driving it.

But im not criticizing, im just suggesting some new ideas

Fix that, and add some "getting out of the car" features/missions and you have a game that Easily destroys GTA1 and rivals GTA2 in Flash. Not bad considering those were Playstation games!

wow this is very very nice!! great job! =O
    Dont drive faster then your gardian angel can fly.