A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video control - Flix vs Sorenson

Video control - Flix vs Sorenson

Hi All,

I am currently working on an educational video CD distribution project, where we intend to create a video interface which imports a video embedded in a swf file into an empty movieclip, and also imports text associated with each video from an external xml file. The mechanics of this project work pretty well, it has been simple to get the interface to import the relevant files.

However, we are having problems with the swf containing the video. It has been produced in Flash MX format using Flix Pro. We find that we are unable to rewind or skip backwards and forwards through the swf that Flix Pro has produced without a massive amount of delay (to the point of being unusable). Using Flash MX's import video capability, we have been able to produce a swf that enables us to rewind and skip through perfectly with the same pieces of code.

The main issue now is this - we wanted to distribute Flix Pro to a few end users to allow them to create their own movies and, therefore, produce their own CD's without the need for getting involved with Flash MX. Does anybody know why Flix Pro produces video that we are unable to control, yet it's own interface that you can add to a converted swf controls the movie perfectly? I have read on other messages about a Flash MX bug that makes scanning through large movie files a problem, but since we've done it using Flash MX's own import function and seen it done in Flix Pro output this doesn't look as though it is the complete problem.

I hope you might be able to help because this problem could potentially scupper a large section of our project.

Ian

The reason you are having better results with the Flash encoded video is the same reason you sought out a better compression suite in the first place - quality.

The .swf's created with Flash's single pass encoding are easier to scrub because there is less information there to deal with. Higher quality video creates higher file sizes, or greater demand on the Flash rendering engine on the client end.

It's a fine line, but scrubbing is an issue. Flash video is rerendered on the client - and is a bit different than other formats like QuickTime. It's a compromise, Flash is much more ubiquitous than other plug-ins. The easy xml processing and combination of other Flash elements make it a very attractive method for delivery.

All I can say is it's not a problem with Flix, it's the amount of data your computer is capable of processing and the weight of your file vs. quality, framerate, dimensions, sound compression - all are factors. Flash video compression is one of the trickiest things to master.

I would think twice about passing the process off to your client. I can relate very uncomfortable client situations when I have attempted to do the same.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Jonathan from Wildform here.
    I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying the play controls created by Flix work fine to fast forward and rewind the video but the controls you created in Flash are not working?
    Without more information it's hard for me to know why that would be. Is the code the same? Are you deploying them in the same fashion?
    Also, feel free to contact our technical support at www.wildform.com/support.
    jb

Thanks for your replies - the problem I had has now solved itself. The main issue was about bugs when controlling certain aspects of a flash movie produced by Flix Pro. Further testing with different settings within Flix has now produced some very satisfactory results, with swf files that we are able to control easily. Apologies if my original message was slightly confusing, I was a bit confused myself at the time of writing!