A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Flashkit , ....Tell us your story..

Hybrid View

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Why Flashkit , Why ? ....

.....did you stop here and started useing FK. How did you find the site ? Please share it with us.

P.S This has been asked before but thats a looooong time ago

Whats great and what could be changed ? Any thoughts ?

The History

About Flash Kit.... Flash Kit started late October in 1999. We built it because we wanted to create a resource site that as flash developers, we would find useful. We built it to create a one stop raw materials centre for flash creations, after having spent hours surfing for sounds, images and ideas, it seemed to me a great idea to collate and collect as much as we could into one place!

We never realised how much hard work has to go into creating a site of this nature. At every point we take a step back and think to ourselves "would that help us?", "Would that be useful?". Combined with the task of sourcing content, collating content, presenting content, administering the site, promoting the site, and adding functionality to the site, whoah, some serious late nights!

To undertake the site I partnered with Steve Williams from TurnAround Solutions, CEO of an Australian development house. Between us we have pushed Flash Kit to the limit, hopefully providing a valuable and useful site to the flash and multimedia community at large.

In January 2000, we became part of the internet.com network, a great sign of recognition, and its propelled the site further forward with us being able to create a host of new features, and even better, we have lots of bandwidth to use!

Flash Kit succeeds because of the generosity of the community it serves, and I would like to say a special thanks to the users, and the contributors out there who have used, seen, or sent to Flash Kit, your contributions, loyalty and support are truly appreciated.

Regards,
    Mark Fennell
    Flash Kit Founder Sydney, Australia.

Im having a party, lets rock

i lurk in the coffee lounge most of the time, dont have much to say.. so ill go back to lurking

I had seen 2Advanced version 2-3, Ego Media, Eye4u and some others and decided it would be my goal to get listed on coolhomepages (one of the more difficult directories to get listed under). Someone mentioned Flashkit to me and BLAM! Flashkit provided me with every single thing I needed to learn Flash on my own. I simply cannot believe that this is possible for free on the Internet through the exchange of ideas and source, when other people pay good money to get Certifications and what have you. I am actually completing a Certification next month, which was a complete and utter waste of my time to get, because I had already learned most of the course materials from Flashkit. I learned a valuable lesson about the real relevance of formal eduction vs. just having a kicka$$ portfolio to show people.
    Last edited by gdstudios; 06-05-2003 at 02:35 PM.

hmm this thread got more serious than I thought.
    I was hanging out at a Dutch Flash board. A reply there would came like after a month if at all. I found out about flashkit at swishzone.com
    Last edited by Vincent26381; 06-04-2003 at 12:03 PM.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Thats really nice to hear gds. That someone have learnd flash 100% from this site. Keep up the good work.

No whats good or bad ?

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Of topic posts will be rewarded a tubbi title in the end. Be sure !

mullet king
    I saw Billy Bussey's site, got hooked on flash and he links to FK so I learned everything from here too

I was seriously looking into using Swish - quick, easy, and rather robust for what I needed then - and instead got interested into learning Flash. Swift3D and Vecta3D both came out, and I stuck around... basically, I learned flash faster via Flashkit than any book or class.

don't get me wrong, I'm still not all that in flash - haven't opened flash in over 3 months - but I'm tons more comfy with the program due to Flashkit.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

FK's Super Loquacious Randomite ad_mtk2's Avatar
    I started my A-level ICT course in 2000 and my friend was doing a web design course, he showed me some of the stuff he was doing and i was so jealous. So he introduced me to Flash and said Flashkit was a great place to learn flash. I became a member, the end. Improvements? erm.....more people to help in help forums. This is what it's all about isn't it?!

Originally posted by gerbick
    don't get me wrong, I'm still not all that in flash - haven't opened flash in over 3 months - but I'm tons more comfy with the program due to Flashkit.

Bah - you've been screwing around with AS and XML lately mate!!

*wout-o police force - always looking out for little white lies*

I got to FK via Joen Asmussen's site, the 1998 version of Asmussen Interactive, which linked to FK.
    hello.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    I wanted to get a site check done at coolhomepages, No one was responding so I bumped the thread.

A few days later the only response to my site check was:

"you'll get more replies at flashkit.com"

So I came here, and now I hang around the CL 99.9999% of the time. No flash for me.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Great to hear gerbick

Ihad used flash for about 1/2 year and we used to use flashpad.com before flashkit. I can tell you about flamewars , very bad and with no control , ask popedeflash about it. Then FK poped up in a search and i joined here as memberid 209 . It wasnt much traffic and the movesection wasnt that much either but there was something to work with. The site check was the place that helped me out most.

Now i have found different apps to use at work such as swift 3d (nice) and swish, dont use them much but they are great tools if used corectly

Bad things ? Cant think of something right know , if it has to be something it has to be that i miss the old crew alot but on the other side are jstarkey and his team doing VERY good job. Just have to say thanks to all of you that makes this site what it is and what it can be in the future , you desides .

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by wouter999

*wout-o police force - always looking out for little white lies*

I got to FK via Joen Asmussen's site, the 1998 version of Asmussen Interactive, which linked to FK.
    Joen kicks ass

ad_mtk2

more people to help in help forums. This is what it's all about isn't it?!
    Yupp

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Had my First Flash V 3.0 at late 1998, took me like a week to make a nice enough tween, then came Flash 4, stuck with it for another year and a half, stumbled across Flash Kit back then -Thanks www.c4.com, for a while it was one of the best search engines- lurked for a while, then came Flash 5, too much to learn, re-discovered the movies section + the tutorials section, and my learning curve blew sky high, then I discovered CL, and there goes my entire learning progress

I LOVE YOU FLASHKIT

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I did a search when I needed to solve a problem I was having with Flash 3 and the rest is pretty much history.

I think I've digested almost all the older (and a lot of the newer) open source here, memorized it and moved on. Unfortunately, when I have problems now, they sometimes seem to have gone beyond the scope of the open source available, but still, I couldn't have got to this point without the big FK.

Don't get me wrong - I am far from knowing all the tricks. Finding out new stuff, or solving a problem, always makes a good day great.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by wouter999
    bah! I'm still having issues mang!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

How I came to be:
    I was actually working on a powerpoint presentation
    for an 7th grade English project.
    I asked my old friend, Andrew Wansley, where I could
    find some sound loops.
    Strangely, I came here. That was my first encounter.
    I never came back. That is, until...
    I got Flash. I dunno why, but I came back.
    And now I'm here.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Thanks for great input , invite all your FK buddies now

I originally came here like everyone else I think, looking for flash FLAs and tutorials, I liked the fact that it was an australian based resource and everyone seemed friendly, check out my first ever post;

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=10708

I asked is anyone had a train passing noise and this guy damadprofessor actually recorded one on his way home, looped it and sent it to me!

that impressed me

..flashkit..

I love flashkit, ive used this site many a time before, for tutorials and resources, i just recently realized i could register and stuff, so thats frickin cool too. I discovered it throught a friend about 2 years ago. yea so hehe anyway bye

mhststd~