A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Flashkit , ....Tell us your story..

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Welcome to the Lounge then , and i sure we will see you in the helpsections as well in the future

Thanks to you too a, the first posts are in some way odd to read but funny.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    How did I come here? I was here when it was just a start up, Flashzone and FlashPad were all the rage and full of flamewars. I remember the days when FK only had a few sound loops and a few files given to Mark from FlashWave.co.uk and FlashPlanet.com. I came here to help develop and create a community that was more than just a place to learn flash. A place that everyone would feel comfortable in.

Its nice to know that the community portion of the site in which I was a part of the founding membership is still growning and thriving. I see a bit more flaming than I care for and the "G" rating that I helped establish is not exactly followed any longer. IF the "G" rating were brought back into enforcement I think we would see more Women and older more experienced artists and developers come back to the community.

Everything has a life cycle, If there is a next wave of money into our industry a new startup could catch the essance and spirit that started FK and that special time of innovation and colaboration that FK was known for will once again be.

But the ideals and standards that FK started out to be and set are still its living soul. As long as people communicate and share their craft on a personal level then FlashKit will live on.

Regards, Bill
    Community Co-Founder
    Senior Moderator
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Footer... We dont need no Stinking Footers!!!!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    I see a bit more flaming than I care for and the "G" rating that I helped establish is not exactly followed any longer. IF the "G" rating were brought back into enforcement I think we would see more Women and older more experienced artists and developers come back to the community.
    I couldnt agree more, but with so many members its alittle hard some times Thanks for your great post Bill See you soon

Arrived via the number 10 Google bus.

Been back and forth the last few years, only recently discovered the usefulness of the board. Am impressed with the knowledge and helpfullness of the people on here, and seeing what others are upto and the boundaries they are pushing is quite inspirational.

As for improvements:

1) Sort out the front page, it's too crowded and intimidating for new users. I know the site is huge but there's gotta be something you could do to get rid of that overloaded feeling.

2) Faster, better, more, servers! Not likely, I know, money money money. But you can always dream, eh?
    ...?...

Hey GMF and FKitters,
    In Summer of 98 I was a photography student at the time and became very fond of Photoshop 4 (5 was on its way) and its capabilities. Photoshop got me into using the computer as a medium. I first encountered Flash during a design internship back in May 1999. I had never used a program like it. There were barely any books on the program. Flash 4 had just come out and made itself known to the web world. wddg.com was one of the first sites I saw out there. gabocorp was another. I wanted to create a website that highlighted my work. I figured Flash was a challenge so I gave it a go. I did a search and found there were some resources starting up, flashkit.com caught my eye.

Back in May 2000, Flashkit was starting to get a good number of members, the community was growing, it had some veterans of Flash which were called moderators. They helped answer "newbie" questions without making you feel like a goof for not knowing the answer. I couldn't have made my first flash site without FK.

In August 2000, I became a teaching assistant and had to teach a class that focused on computer graphics. This course included Flash. I figured the best way to know what questions I would expect from my students was to spend time helping others, as members helped me when I first started out. It was a great help. I hope I was able to give back to others as so many generously gave to me. I've branched out to other apps. Done other interactive work but a lot started here. I'm not saying FK guided my career as an student/artist, I've had a lot of schooling, other experiences. But the community helped in the growth. I've made some good friends because of FK. So FK has been and will continue to be a great asset to me.

I've been m.i.a. for a while, but I have not forgotten my roots. FK has grown beyond expectations. It survives because of the community. Keep on truckin'!!
    }inspiration not appropriation{}track me{}mod squad profile{}
    site check specs > mac g4 400mHz :: 1gb ram :: 1280x1024 :: 18" lcd monitor :: safari :: cable modem

I originally found Flashkit looking for sound files a loooong time ago (in my career life, anyway). For a while I only used Flashkit for its hard resources, until I finally stumbled into the boards one day. I was probably looking for Actionscript advice, but I can't remember the exact circumstances. Eventually I realized I could start helping out myself, which made me feel better about all the downloads I had made out with so far

I was hooked. These boards are the place to be! Now it's the other way 'round. I use the hard resources only occasionally now, but it's the 'soft' resources (ie, helpful people) that are the real treasure at Flashkit.

cheers
    -luxfx
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

2 + 2 = 5
    I was looking for flash tutorials through google. I kept coming to the same site.

[size=1]Peace out fk. Thanks for all the good times .

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    By siriuss
    Sort out the front page, it's too crowded and intimidating for new users. I know the site is huge but there's gotta be something you could do to get rid of that overloaded feeling.
    Thats true, it was more personal before. I know that the money has to come from somebody and that the frontpage has to be like this if its gonna keep the site up. Nice to hear your story.

8minus8 and LusFX , thanks again for your input
    Adv7rsus, come back anytime

This thread is a interesting read. See you soon ...

[edit] If some of the new members would like to know what the "old FK" looked like and and how we had it back then, then check out this thread Clicky here

Originally posted by aversion
    I originally came here like everyone else I think, looking for flash FLAs and tutorials, I liked the fact that it was an australian based resource and everyone seemed friendly, check out my first ever post;

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=10708

I asked is anyone had a train passing noise and this guy damadprofessor actually recorded one on his way home, looped it and sent it to me!

that impressed me
    It's awesome that you have access to this.

through the movies, the tutorials, and the forums, i know about 99.8% of what i know about flash. the site is amazing and i dont think it gets the recognition it deserves for being such an amzing resource, as well as bringing the flash community together.

My early days at FlashKit date back to its beginning. I was turned on to it by a link I found in a book, and have been here ever since. I lurked for a long time, read other people's questions and answers on the forums and downloaded tons of FLAs to tear apart and learn from.

After a while, I got bold enough to register and began posting. Most of my posts were answers to questions, but I found the other members to be an awesome storehouse of knowledge, and have relied on the expertise of many people here.

Eventually, I asked for a business forum (read my request) and eventually became a moderator of what is now the Boardroom. Most of my time on Flashkit is spent there.

Banned
    i found it near the beginning also. quick resource for a few early fla's and tutorials.

i never liked the forums much basically because of the G rated policy. always seemed goofy when most people that are here are actually working adult professionals that can handle things fine.

im usually on other forums because of that. WH, 12stone, o8 etc.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Just gotta say its good to see you again on WH take care D

Banned

I first came here about two and a half years ago when I was trying to learn how to use Flash 4. I thought the manual that came with Flash 4 was sadly lacking and ended up teaching myself Flash mostly just by digging in and trying to recreate work that I found here. The movie section was invaluable and I've downloaded more than a few sounds loops as well.

I took a slightly different tack than most people, though. Even though I was by no means an expert, I found that the best way to learn was to take the time to answer other people's questions. I may not have known the answer when I started, but I did when I was done. I learned a lot more that way than I would have if I would have just posted my own questions and let other people answer them.

It was the same way when I started using Swift3D to add 3D elements to my Flash work. I didn't know squat about the program when I first started using it, but after spending some time going through the program myself and answering other people's questions, I had a respectable grasp of it's nuances.

It was Flash Kit though, that made all of this possible. Naturally I have been to other Flash resource sites and forums, but none of them have the same "feel" to them that Flash Kit has. It's only to be expected that there will be occasional exceptions, but for the most part Flash Kit is a wholesome and friendly place to hang and learn. I value this highly and will continue to do my part to keep it that way.

Cheers to all who make this place what it is!
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I was at swishzone a few days after I purchased swish 1.51

And saw some demos.
    Try for the life of me I could not recreate the things
    Even in 1.52 I thought they were lying and it was done in
    flash.
    So I followed the link to flashkit. (Nov 2000)
    First board I'd ever visited even after being online
    since 95.
    I didn't leave swish help forums for 3 months there after
    If there was another forum I didn't know about it.

I was amazed how much of a community it really was.
    The moderators were always straight foreward and helpful.
    If it couldn't be done in swish they'd look for alternatives
    Members would also contribute to finding solutions. As opposed to
    just ask questions. They also would extend themselves
    by starting posts to share idea's
    David Petley was a swish help moderator at the time. He
    would encourage members to look beyond swish help at flashkit
    to broaden there horizons.
    All the moderators extended themselves beyond just the position.
    Having support sites of there own. Sharing resources and knowledge
    I learned more from open swi's, The exchange of ideas at fk then
    I could have ever learned in a book.
    Allmark(former swish moderator) is a perfect example of that
    He did things in swish 1.52 that were amazing (for swish lite)

Each of the moderators extended themselves with additional support
    sites. The tradition still carries on.

As for flame wars I'm not much of a social butterfly but I don't
    think a G rating will save the world.
    All comunities have fringe elements. The larger the
    community the greater the fringe. Shock value will
    attract mostly those seeking shock value.
    Information will mostly attract those seeking information.

Frets

my very first post:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=17983

and who should come to help me?... GMF himself. gave up on me, but started me in the right direction. i came here because i needed to put 15 powerpoint presentations online and powerpoint did not seem like the application to use. searched and found this site. and have been here for 3 years
    Last edited by rookie; 06-11-2003 at 12:54 PM.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    My niece was aware of my interest in SWF and SWiSH (Hi Janine ) and had sent me a link to the new SWiSH forum at Flashkit back in May 2000.

I spent a month lurking there learning from the posts of others, then finally realised that I could answer some of the questions being asked so I registered so I could respond to posts.

Hundreds of posts later, David Michie (SWiSH creator and then the only mod in SWiSH forum) emailled and invited me to moderate in SWiSH forum. I did it happily, still not venturing out into greater Flashkit too much, the lounge seemed like this really cliquey joint that seemed pretty threatening to outsiders.

Mark Fennel asked me to moderate in the lounge after seeing me run around all over the place being a footer cop (I was sick of seeing a FK pages take forever to load due to huge footers).

I was eventually made supermod...I'm not sure why.....probably so I could have more success telling people their footer was too large and they should fix it.

....and now....I'm not sure the current webmaster knows how to make me go away

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

"village idiot" not brackets ""

Wanna-be Jezza

I found Flashkit three years ago. I was new to the internet and how things worked on it, and I dreamed of days in flash and money to be made. I slowly developed into a budding young designer, through the help of fk members, source files, downloads, well Flashkit I learned what sort of paths I wanted to follow. It helped me plant the seeds of my future and grow with them. After about a year or so on the boards, thousands of posts, memories, fun, I started my own forums. They have grown into the leading party boards in Vancouver and possibly the Canadian west coast. Maybe Flashkit didn’t help directly, but indirectly they are all over it. Now less and less in flash, I build and design corporate websites and do odd freelance graphics. My nitch may not be flash but without Flashkit I never would have made it as far as I am now.

Sadly Flashkit has developed too. It had become a megawhore of members and advertisements, and seems all to restricting. I can remember days were if a few pages loaded up slow everyone went crazy. Now I can't help but get page load restrictions with every visit, attachments that don’t work and forums riddled with childish members who run rampant in every thread. I find myself more and more frustrated browsing the site, which is becoming less and less enjoyable to visit. A website I once loved more then anything.

So I mean, that’s just my perspective. My name is Myles; I’m a long time member but dying lover of this glorious Flashkit. Also please excuse my gammer

snyx
    Checkout my design portfolio @ mHolman.com
    I go back further then jezza's hairline.

Well ...

I popped in to the SWiSH Help Forum - I think through a link in the program itself ... asked a couple of questions about pop-up windows or something - saw a need for more people to answer questions in that forum - and for once in my life (more or less) - I was able to provide answers people were looking for ... that's such a good feeling ... So, I stuck around - then when SWiSH 2.0 came out - I was hooked - became a much, much more active member of the forum - David P asked me to mod - I accepted - the rest is history ...

I think I was here for almost a year before I even stepped one foot outside of the SWiSH Forums ... Just as David said, the Lounge seemed a little intimidating -- and at that point, Flash was just far too ridiculously hard to learn ... but, thanks to some great tutorials by Jeffrey Hill - some of that fear went away

The loops section here was invaluable (still is) - I've never really looked in the "movie" section, so I can't comment on what's in there ... But, the community is excellent (aside from the occasional bad apples). I'm very glad to be a part of this place - and I thank David for giving me the opportunity

ps. Thanks for the trip down memory lane GMF

Cheers,
    Brian