A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Flashkit , ....Tell us your story..

I came here because I am to lazy to do my own work. Actually, I remember, flashkit was on the 42 page of google, and I was trying to fix what is now a very basic problem to me. I expanded to a higher point with just Flashkit and a bible (of flash, that is).

Can I have a teletubby title anyway?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

So that's how one makes Super Moderator round here.

Originally posted by Cadence

ps. Thanks for the trip down memory lane GMF

Cheers,
    Brian
    Whoa, you and I look a bit alike, at least from your avatar. Do I have a twin I was unaware of?

thanks for the pm GMF - I would have missed this thread

I joined Flashkit in the summer of 2000, prompted by my producer at the BBC in London where I was working at the time. I was looking for soundloops for an in-house presentation. I came from a strict Director background having worked with it for years both commercially and throughout college where I studied for a BA in Photography & Multimedia (never thought much of Flash 'till v4).

I was hooked. The community spirit and camaraderie was a completely new experience. Flashkit soon became a creative outlet, a playground where members were my new friends and collaborators. A space to learn and experiment, a space where criticism became part of the learning process and a space where sharing your open source files with the community was a privilege and a great honour.

As Flashkit grew and more forums were added, more and more members were offered a gateway to open source Flash files, technical content and advice. It also connected more and more developers and designers with diverse backgrounds and interests who posted their ‘hacks’, tips and tutorials and the community soon became a collective effort that hosted the intellectual resources of those members and made them available to everyone else. This effort helped others that followed to develop alliances and push Flash further which resulted in determining to a great extent, imo the growth, maturation and development of this tool. The community experimented, set new trends and posted its finds and Macromedia listened and responded accordingly.

What was also the key to problem-solving is that members with a variety of skills collaborated to address common issues, the boards carried queries on real-world problems and scenarios posted by those who were experiencing them and who worked on specific projects and the community responded with different solutions that reflected its diversity and great resources. Flashkit, like other open source software communities, is highly dynamic and provides real-world examples of how some groups of members approach complex and often undocumented problems.

I've met many talented designers and developers here who have helped me tremendously. I also went on to meet members I used to talk to on these boards in the 'real' world whether it was FlashForward in Holland (hey Cruise) or the Flashkit conference in San Jose last August (hey JStarkey and everyone who attended and posted such good feedback about my XML session -much appreciated), or FF in NYC (CNO, Pope, Agent Vivid). It's weird meeting someone in real life and calling him Pope or Cruise while you shake his hand

Thanks to the original FK crew for setting this up and the current Admin for supporting what has become a thriving, diverse, multi-cultural community and the best resource site for Flash users.

See you at FK03 this summer!

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Originally posted by derricketo

i never liked the forums much basically because of the G rated policy. always seemed goofy when most people that are here are actually working adult professionals that can handle things fine.
    I personally think you need the G rating or at the very least a disclaimer and a reliable Mod team. Having said that I favour the karma moderation system a la Slashdot and I am in the process of implementing and extending it (Slashcode) for somewhere else.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Civilian
    GMF invited me to the party. Anyone got a beer?

I was playing around with Flash in 99 and in 2000. Most of my experience came from playing practical jokes on my boss - probably part of the reason I lost my job that year. I'd also helped on a small project for ecollege. Later in 2000 I started working on a pro bono project with Linda Cole, then of WDVL and JavaBoutique. Roughly a year later, she mentioned that Internet.com was bringing FK inhouse, so she contacted me and put me in touch with Scott Clark (the Managing Editor here, for those who don't know) and things went from there. I was handed the keys in January 2002.

It's funny now to look back on how intimidating the whole scene was, at first. Walking into a community this big after Trav and Mark - two amazing webmasters. Everyone wanted to know who the new guy was, so I was constantly on the spot lol. Thanks to Pope, DP, FlashGuru, Aria, RazoRmedia, gerbick and the rest of the mod team everything smoothed over soon enough. I think FK first became fun from a Webmaster's stand point when RabbiMedia, errr, Razor, started his holy war against me. Most of my retaliation is locked up in the Team Room, but we were in tears laughing over the whole thing. From then on I started spending a lot of my time here, like now, off the clock just hanging out.

My assessment of FK after a year and a half? S'one BAD ASS community!!!

Now, where's MY teletubby doll? You promised, GMF!!

psx = new Moderator();
    I honestly can't remember how I got here or exactly when. I do know that I was amazed at the amount of help I was receiving and the amount of skill that the people here possessed. It was right around the time of the 4-5 transition. I'd used 4 a lot and even done some scripting, but when 5 came out, I was all... "woooohooo!!" I hung around the actionscript help forums and just pretty much read everything that was posted. I even at one point thought I could help, and ended up learning more than I helped. I was that guy who would post the wrong answer, only to see 5 minutes later someone like Musicman post the right anwers and show me just how much I had yet to learn.

It seems like only yesterday I was boggled by all these little actionscript things.... things that I now take for granted but would never have been able to if it weren't for this site.

To put it into perspective or whatever, I've recently started learning Lingo. The first problem I hit, I started looking for DirectorKit.com. In fact, everytime I have a problem with anything, I think... hmm... "MacKit.com?. PCKit.com?, ChickKit.com?, gotmyfingersslammedinthedoorKit.com?

F to the K yo!

psx

Hmm

teletubbicle.

ohh the memories =)

PS. Root beer in the mods forum!
    woohoo
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

Like some of the posts before say .. it's a bit intimidating seeing all the talent and friendships here. So where do I fit in as the semi-flash noob? I guess the answer would be .. anywhere. So this is my introduction and the start of my adventures in the Flashkit Community.
    I got into web design in January this year and man if it wasn't a big headache. It actually didnt take too long to get the html figured out .... but I was making gifs from scratch and overall just wasn't satisfied with the amount of time it took to make a page like I wanted. And I still didn't have excitement or interactivity. After seeing www.shadowness.com (the previous version) I saw how nice a designer site could look. And that's what I wanted. I didn't even really know what flash was till then. But I couldn't find any fla's to experiment on to learn it. So I decided to buy a nice flash template to tear apart and put back together. Eventually I found Flashkit in a search and I knew right then that was what I was looking for.
    Flashkit has greatly accelerated my learning of flash with the forums / movies / and tutorials. I think I've come a long way in a fairly short amount of time thx to Flashkit. But I've still got a very long way to go.
    Thx
    SN4K3

[/]
    Last edited by eggler; 10-14-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by jstarkey
    GMF invited me to the party. Anyone got a beer?

Now, where's MY teletubby doll? You promised, GMF!!
    You asked for it

PUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by Cadence
    Well ...

ps. Thanks for the trip down memory lane GMF

Cheers,
    Brian
    Not a problem at all buddy . And to the rest wow great posts . Keep the good work up guys .
    Tanks Aria, eggler , SN4K3 ,psychlonex, + + + and John got your input

Civilian
    Originally posted by GMF
    You asked for it
    Ohhhhh, would you look at that. Muh vary firsht avatah.

I ended up here on the reccomendation of a macromedia rep.

At the time I was waorking as a help desk manager and had been given the task of creating the company intranet site. I promptlystarted learning HTML and a little javascript and got introduced to flash via those whacky little executable games that people send out as christmas cards.

There was an MM seminar close to wher I lived so I took the day of work to attend and was dazzled by the jazzy affects of flash. The rep there recommended some reource sites so I registered here when I got home.

My first post was (Ithink) in the site check forum although I regularly trawled the flash forums while I learne the basics of flash.

It was a while before I posted in the lounge but since then I have been stuck her, unable to escape.
    Last edited by swampy; 06-05-2003 at 04:36 AM.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

I think FK first became fun from a Webmaster's stand point when RabbiMedia, errr, Razor, started his holy war against me. Most of my retaliation is locked up in the Team Room, but we were in tears laughing over the whole thing.
    You might have been in tears wet boy!

It became fun for me when you shipped your ex missus over in a box (but maybe Mel is a story for another time eh?)

I joined under a different username because I got a rubbish job and had nothing to do so just started messing with flash to while away the hours. Am still good mates with a few of the old admin (Tommy and Jezza mainly) and every now and then I open photoshop and make starkeys life hell too.

I actually got my current job through flashkit, I helped out in the actionscript forum a few years ago and this person was very grateful, so grateful in fact that they got me my current position as a flash game developer (which is very nice thankyou very much).

I don't visit flashkit as much as I used to, I mainly visit the boardroom and I trawl forum 5 (games).

Long live Flashkit

cheers for pm GMF
    Living the dream

Civilian
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    You might have been in tears wet boy!
    Ok, correction, Mr Creempuff, I was laughing; you were posting 20 second marathons.

It became fun for me when you shipped your ex missus over in a box (but maybe Mel is a story for another time eh?)
    [/small]
    Yeah, that's a story for another time, like last year. We can sweep that one under the rug.

Don't tell me GMF invited YOU TOO!!!???? GMF, he doesn't deserve a teletubby. Maybe a Rue Paul avatar would be more appropriate?

Now then....

Years I worked as graphic designer in a publishing house.
    Loving my job, but I notice I need a new challenge. So I started with HTML, Perl and so on but what me realy set on fire was when I saw the realy great flah sites at the www. It must be a real vison for me to create such these powerful and professional website.
    I brought books about flash and find a link to flashkit.com my realy big step forward to my vison.
    I know I have to learn much more. But I am realy thankful to the hundreds of flashmovies which gave me an impression how to work with actionscript and certainly these wonderful community who act as my adviser friendly and helpfuly.
    In evidence here the language is affectionate and everyone wants to help, that’s my experience.

Now I am working hart to post not less than 100 to get my own avatar!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Don't tell me GMF invited YOU TOO!!!???? GMF, he doesn't deserve a teletubby. Maybe a Rue Paul avatar would be more appropriate?
    I did lets see what we can come up with. h e h e !

Ok, correction, Mr Creempuff, I was laughing; you were posting 20 second marathons.

Yeah, that's a story for another time, like last year. We can sweep that one under the rug.

markp.com

Mr Starkey - holier than thou

spot the difference

markp eating lard

ahhh, good times
    Living the dream