A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Flashkit , ....Tell us your story..

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    It became fun for me when you shipped your ex missus over in a box (but maybe Mel is a story for another time eh?)

Inflatables??? Again??? John I'm ashamed of you

I joined Flashkit the very first day after Flashpad closed their doors. Right before the boards started Mr. Flashkit himself asked me if I could help him as a mod on the boards. My awnser was something like: "My English is not very good and I don't have much time ..."

Anyway, he added me as a mod: "Just look at the forum for five or ten minutes a day, that's ok."

Of course the five to ten minutes was soon a huge underestimate.

That's now more then three years ago. It was amazing to watch the immense grow of the community and my fights with Flashguru (Guy Watson) was very interesting, too.

At that tiome I was a 100% Flash geek, but that changed a lot latly as I'm now doing about anything web related: Flash, HTML, PHP, mySQL, Design, Server Admin, Team Management, Consulting ... yeah, anything.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

"village idiot" not brackets ""

Wanna-be Jezza

best memory was for me was some of the whore threads, the blue haired babies. that was a riot..

the custom fk flash title.. snyx send us your liver.
    hahaha, good times.

were is mark, old man jezza, TONY wooot (aka XU1), swishy, fruits is around, how bout xerees. plus lotsa good time with aria markp my mate, the big man.. the enigma who?.. anyways lotsa lotsa ol friends

nobody quoted my post.. booo to being last on the first page
    Checkout my design portfolio @ mHolman.com
    I go back further then jezza's hairline.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    We all miss you snyx

Civilian
    Originally posted by snyx

Sadly Flashkit has developed too. It had become a megawhore of members and advertisements, and seems all to restricting. I can remember days were if a few pages loaded up slow everyone went crazy. Now I can't help but get page load restrictions with every visit, attachments that don’t work and forums riddled with childish members who run rampant in every thread. I find myself more and more frustrated browsing the site, which is becoming less and less enjoyable to visit. A website I once loved more then anything.
    Snyx, you said no one quoted you - ref your later post. This has a lot to do with my work, so I will

Megawhore of members is something to be proud of - all the fogies here should. You all drew them in. Someone has to pay for that though, so....

As far as a few pages not loading correctly. When I took the keys in Jan 2002 very few pages even loaded. Maybe you are referring to something prior to that, so I'll leave it at that. If it's something current, sorry, but spiders and spam harvestors and offline browsers were very rare 3 years ago and the site was much, much smaller. It's a tough fight now. I'm spending hours a week trying to figure out new ways to stop them, without effecting the natives. I think we can all agree that 1 page per second is very reasonable. How many words do you read per second?

The attachments thing lasted something like 24 hours? Sorry, it was a very weird issue and the cause of it wasn't breaking the other ten gazillion pages.

Seriously, if you wanna open a thread in the feedback forum and let me know your gripes, I'll address them. But I think everyone here wants to stay on topic -- how./why they're here, not complaining that things haven't stayed the same for 3 years.

[afterthought]

Snyx, we were all getting SMSes several times a day from the monitoring server, saying that the boards were down - this was about 2 months ago. As of me adding the 1 second rule and certain transparent code for spiders only, we get approx 1 per week. So it has to be improving the reliability of the board. But it's inevitable that a spider will find a way around my code and we'll be back to trying to kill them again, before the community gets ticked.

If you want to reply to this, let's put it in the feedback forum and just provide a link here, ok? GMF asked me to put this thread in the announcements, so I don't wanna let it get hijacked and spoil it for the masses.

Civilian
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia

[snip....[

ahhh, good times
    Whew, you scared me. I was afraid for a second there that I was going to scroll down to your picture. We all thank you for not posting it.

Civilian
    Originally posted by el-Ignoramus
    Inflatables??? Again??? John I'm ashamed of you
    hehehe, nah, I'd never ship my lil mommas over to Razor. He'd corrupt them.

Bruce was trying to steal my girlfriend. They were hitting it off so well over ICQ that I crated her up and shipped her over to him. If I recall correctly, she was later found swinging from lamp posts in Edinburgh.

I'm contradicting my other post and will soon be chastized -- I've made an announcement on the front page for GMF. Better stay on topic before we get a new tubby.

"village idiot" not brackets ""

Wanna-be Jezza

well spoken jstarkey, I didnt expect any mass explination I was just voicing my thoughts. flashkit really is a awesome site, wheater im bugged by it or not. the gripes just sorta felt their way out in my history lesson of a post, thats all
    Checkout my design portfolio @ mHolman.com
    I go back further then jezza's hairline.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Great news, get ready for some traffic then :D

Thank you very much John. I think its very interesting to see/read how they all ended up here . Nice posts everyone , Ill pay next round

Onw of my favorite times, I would have to say, would be yarr.

Yes, you heard me, yarr.

Never will *tears* forget it.

I love all these memories I have, and I'll never forget this place.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

The original reason I came to flashkit was because I wanted a fast start on programming flash.

I have a programming background and had been working on alot of stuff, especially to do with XML. Flash 5 supported XML and I used it mainly to build easy to use UI.

Flashkit for me started mainly with helping people in the Mac forum, and found most people were asking questions about plugins and browsers and not actually creating solutions. The XML forum however was quieter, but probably had just as many posts that were educational.

Lastly I would like to say thanks to all of the FlashKit crew, it is a extremely enjoyable experience.

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/

Mad Cat
    Long time ago I was surfing some EA games websites("cool" designs) and there was the EA logo animated, each letter appeared and a voice is heard reading the logo("E" letter appeared and the guy said "E"! same thing with the "A" and "games") I was kinda thrilled cuz at that time i was working on my first website where I was gonna to put loops and SFX I made - that was even before MP3, so I right clicked the animated logo and found the "about flash 3.0" button, so of course I clicked it then I downloaded the trial version of flash 3.0 and it was the first time I dealt with a time line, any way, I was hocked with flash.
    How flashkit? since I was into sound editing, grafix design, and flash multimedia, I started searching for loops and I found flashkit, I couldn't believe it, I found every think a designer or developer ever need, mostly; inspiration, the almost daily link to a flash site was and still a great deal to full fill the creative gap in me, and the same thing with the loops, .flas, grafix, contests, forums, tutorials, flash news and 3rd party software. I hope I didn't miss a thing!
    Flash kit is a great source for every one involved in flash, because the content is made and added by the flashers themselves, allowing them to share ideas and link their sites, and most importantly; is to love FLASH. It's by flashers and for flashers.
    Thanx flashkit.com

Mark F. you are the maan!

I honestly can't remember how I found this place. I think a friend told me about it ages ago when I 1st got a hold of flash. All I know is I cannot leave

I registered on 07-27-2001 under the name 'vfrnc30'. Back then I didn't really have much of an understanding about flash, and all the posts under that username all seemed to be in the general help forum because I was very new to it all. As my 1st post may suggest lol (embarrassing )
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=237970

It wasn't until about this time last year that I really got into grips with flash. I carried on learning, learning, and learning some more. Then I became an addict of the cool sites forum and registered this username on 11-01-2002. I remain there 99.9% of the time now, purely because I love to see what is been created right now, it helps me learn from a design perspective. That is the reason I still come here, and that will be the reason that keeps me here for a long time to come I think.

As far as saying what FK needs to be improved...I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with the site. I think the only part that keeps the long term visitors here is the boards. As long as you have got good moderators on the boards (which you have) then it think you are sorted for domination.

Keep up the good work FK.

PS. What is all this teletubby nonsense about lol?

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    JUSTMASTER and Ritchie-T , thanks for your iunput

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    I came to Flashkit to learn how to make and do flash. Ironically to this day I still have no idea, but I know how to build a kick ass community on the web.

I am the kinda super lurker these days, doing the odd freelance stuff, along with a LOT of travel, the world is a big place and I have seen very little of it.

The most satidfying thing about the whole flashkit experience is the helping vibe. Its amazing to see such a utopian space, where people genuinely help and care for each other. It really gives me the warm smushies.

Its nice to read this sort of feedback, and I guess I have to let the mods know that I am alive ... occasionally
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Its great to see you around , now and then too Take care cheif

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    I think I think aria has a cool history section coming up in her new book, that should be quite a laugh, and one day, Ill put down the memoirs of it all, I seem to have gigs and gigs of flash kit related stuff. It has grown into a mega monster. Damn I am glad I aint trying to tame this beast anymore, starkey has his hands full with this crazy bunch.

Good thing the old school and the new skool mods are around to keep him in line

And I am thinking it could be time to put dan the cow onto ebay the original and well travelled FK mascot...
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Good luck with Dan, mooh moooh and post some pics soon

Banned
    im only here coz all the other sites forums have banned me so your my only hope
    im on new tablets now so there wont be much probs with me honest (doctor told me so),

Banned
    i miss hitting on aria all day here at work. where is that girl?