dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FlashMX and SQL?

FlashMX and SQL?

I looked around in the tutorials, and the only info I can find about having Flash do something with SQL are things dealing with mySQL and PHP, not SQL and ASP which is what I need to use with this.

(Normally I'd be all over mySQL and PHP, but this project is using MS-SQL and ASP. =/ )

Can someone point me to a tutorial or info on what to do to do simple queries and inserts into a SQL table using Actionscript?

Thanks!
    Liam

Why don't you google it?

Yep...

I did, and what I mostly got was a handful of different forums, advertisements for videos and books, and sites that deal in just ASP and/or SQL with nothing to do with Flash.
    =/

Well,
    sorry. Will tell you if I find something, but looks to me as if u are in a relatively big mess....

Manojo

To do it direct from actionscript you'll need flash remoting.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashremoting/

If you're going to go through ASP/PHP/etc. then the data connection kit would probably have the pre-built components you'd need.
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/dataconnection/
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Goodness flip!

I didn't think I'd need to spend $1000 to get Flash to query a database!

Well then, baring buying new software, let me know if I'm on the right track with this alternative:

Use the Flash movie to collect the data generated in the movie in the form of variables from the input text fields, etc.
    Then, can I write the results to a text file stored on the server?

Would I have to send it to a Webpage with ASP connection to SQL using GET additions to the URL? (Did that make sense?)

Any other free alternative?

Thanks!!
    Liam

Hi,

the communication between flash and a server script is always the same - sending variables to and fro.
    So if you get some basic knowledge of asp and mssql (how does the script connect the database) you should be able to convert many existing scripts to the other environment

Flashcomm server is not made to connect straight from the movie to database, but to make multiplayer interaction in realtime, work with microphones and cameras, etc.

Musicman