A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble with excrusion editor

trouble with excrusion editor

ok, im having alot of trouble with swift 3d, hang on let me upload an image...

ok, here

as you can see im in the process of making a somewhat complicated gate for a larger scene, but the example of my problem there i have circled in red in paint, i have gaps appearing, is there a way to simply stop swift doing this, as it keeps happening, and i am randomly moving points which sometimes sorts it, but this one i cannot sort, also on the part i circled in black there should be triangles cut out of the triangles, but i have the image there in extrusion editor, but no luck in the 3d image, and all the pdf file says is some rubbish about it using advanced mathmatical calculations to figure out what to cut out, well the maths is rubbish here as i dont want that! help greatly apriciated, thanks.

oh and here is the decircled one to make it more clear

that's what happenes when individual shapes overlap. the best thing to do, if you're making that gate in a vector program, is to basically simplify the geometry to avoid the overlaps by doing a trim of the "holes" on the background of the "door"... or you could do it the hard way... delete the nodes that create the "holes"... that is if you can do that (read: I was wrong, and they are not overlapping shapes, but indeed are nodes that Swift3D is thinking that those are indeed holes)

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I have had this problem myself on occasion when working with complex shapes. To warn you up front, there have been times when I just couldn't get things to work the way I want them to. Most of the time you can get it sorted out with a little creativity and extra work, though. Below are some things you can try.

Things to do in Flash:
    If you are using another vector drawing program it might be a bit different, but they probably have similar tools

1) To attempt to get the gate to work as a single extruded shape, you can try optimizing the shape a little bit. There are two ways to do this. You can either go to Modify>Optimize and optimize the curves using the dialogue box or you can use the Smooth button on the toolbar which looks like a small curved line. I recommend using the Smooth button and only hitting it once or twice. In most cases there will be little to no noticable difference in the way the shape looks, but the process will eliminate some unnecessary points.

2) You can also try breaking up the shape into separate elements and place them on different layers so that you have several less complicated elements instead of one more complex element. After you import the shapes into Swift3D you can either try Combining the shapes, which may end up causing the same kind of problems you are having now, or just keep them as separate elements and make them all the same depth. You can still Group them and you will be able to move and/or animate them as a single object.

3) After using any combination of the above techniques you can still opt to go into the Extrusion Editor and add/remove/adjust the points individually.

With a little patience and experimentation you should be able to come up with some decent results.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Originally posted by gerbick
    (read: I was wrong, and they are not overlapping shapes, but indeed are nodes that Swift3D is thinking that those are indeed holes)
    what, how do i read that? i searched for it and got loads of results... could you provide a link?

and thanks rushvision, i just cant beleive that this isnt more asily sortable, i thought swift was meant to be an advanced tool for 3d modelling, im having more trouble than its worth at the moment

Originally posted by mega maniac
    i thought swift was meant to be an advanced tool for 3d modelling
    That's where you are mistaken, my friend. Swift3D is actually a very advanced and powerful conversion tool for turning 3D objects into vectors for use in Flash. Since it's inception erain has added numerous modeling and texturing tools, but for the duration of it's product history it has never attempted to match the higher end 3D modeling apps.

Swift3D can do some really great things, but it does sometimes require a little time and patience to achieve the results you desire.
    mrush

ok, maybe advanced was the wrong word, maybe i meant easy for beginners to get to grips with and produce advanced 'looking' results, im just a bit annoyed that something that i would have thought would be easy to fix has been overlooked, i mean they cant have just not noticed that the extrusion editor produced results that were not what a user may want,

oh and considering there is not simple way to fix this it seems
    is there a way to seperate the objects i have made in the extrusion editor in the extrusion editor? i realise you can ungroup some parts but that causes the whole thing to become a block, im just looking for the simplist way around this!

basically i dont get why only some of the shapes cut out where other dont, as you can see some of the crossovers dont cut out the shapeatall.

I'm afraid I don't understand the "why" of it any more than you do. If I did, I would write a comprehensive paper on the subject and send it off to erain with all due haste.

As for the easiest way to get it sorted out, there isn't any way to separate objects in the Extrusion Editor itself or Swift3D at all for that matter. Unfortunately the advice I have already given you is the best I have on the subject. It's possible that someone else has a better answer, but I truly doubt it and I would honestly appreciate hearing about it if they did.
    mrush

i think im gona give up on that gate, its starting to annoy me, i have created the animation for it and it looks good, but the holes are there and noticible, i think a simpler gate it the solution unfortunately, as i dont want to have to sped ages on this one part of the scene, the rest needs doing!

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    How about posting the original image of the gate before any postwork has been applied so we can see where the problem may lie?
    By what I see I think I can remedy your situation.

what do you mean by postwork?

he means post the origional artwork; .ai .eps .jpg or .gif file
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

hmm, i still dont quite understand, i mean i posted the images abouve of the gate, and i made it up out of my imagination and put it straight onto swift, as you can see my imagination sucks

try this;
    1. make the extrusion depth 0
    2. make the color flat red (any red will do)
    3. render out a front view as a .ai file
    4. post the .ai file
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

ok - in that case make a flat black version with a white background at a minimum of 800px wide with no object depth whatsoever and post a link to it for me, please.

ditto on blinkok's post ... we all posting at the same time

right, like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

make a flat black version with a white background at a minimum of 800px wide
    you are making this so difficult and drawn out to help you....

sorry? was that aimed at me? i dont quite understand the sentence

in plain english:
    Make the image a lot bigger than that tiny one you just posted.
    It is tooooo small to work with.
    I asked for the image to be at LEAST 800 pixels wide in my earlier post.

sorry, willdo