A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preloading in first page

preloading in first page

Hello Flashkitters. i've seen alot of sites around that feature a intro page that preloads a movie and then a enter button that launches the main site in a chromless window. i understand how to make a chromless window, but how do you make your movie preload in a different page? How do you preload your main movie in one page while it launches in another page? Sorry for any confusion, thanks in advance.

it doesnt seem to be something people know about...
    but yo could make the preloader in a scene in front of your mainsite...

someone out there has to know, it's too common a feature to be esoteric knowledge. i think it has something to do with export for runtime sharing. By sticking all the symbols of your mainmovie in the preload page, so that they load onto the user's harddrive before they get to the main movie. i need a little help with runtime sharing, because i'm not entirely sure how that works and the Flash help is mind-numbingly complicated. i know someone out there knows what i'm talking about

Here is a tutorial on Runtime Sharing

To achieve what you want (Get the .swf into the browsercache even before its Window is opened) you also could load the file via loadMovie() into a invisible MovieClip in a SWF on your Preload Page.

But keep in mind that all this caching won't work if users set their browser cache very small and your SWF is bigger than that!