A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Commission for recommendations

Commission for recommendations

I have a client who i've just done a website for.

He 'apparently' has a series of clients that he says may want websites and he would like 10% commission charge.

I thought this would be OK as its money I wouldnt normally get.

Is there a standard commission contract form available to make sure its all official.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I would offer them a ten percent referal bonus.

commission implies he is an employe of yours. If this is the case, pay a commission otherwise, I think I would avoid the paperwork and pay a referal bonus.

Re: Commission for recommendations

Originally posted by breadlegs
    I have a client who i've just done a website for.

He 'apparently' has a series of clients that he says may want websites and he would like 10% commission charge.

I thought this would be OK as its money I wouldnt normally get.

Is there a standard commission contract form available to make sure its all official.
    I don't know about a standard form, but Scott Scott will probably have one. He's got everything else up there.

And yes, a 10% referral is standard and good and there's nothing wrong with that. My biggest recommendation though is that you make them your client, and handle all the estimating and billing, and then pass the referral along to the referrer once you get paid. I've seen places that pass along work for a fee, but keep a lot more than they say they are.

Another issue is to make sure that you and your client have the same expectation. If they are thinking 10% for all inovices as long as you have the client, and you are thinking 10% off the first job and only the first job, there's a problem.

d.
    dlowe93

also only pay the referral off the final collected invoice, not the estimate, and only after you've been paid.