A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash export .mov settings PC vs. Mac ...are there equivalents between them?

flash export .mov settings PC vs. Mac ...are there equivalents between them?

Hi, I'm very new to working with video, so this may seem pretty basic!

Could someone please explain the difference between the Mac and PC export settings (flash fla to QT .mov) in Flash MX? They are entirely different, and I'm not sure what to use since all of the lessons I've seen specify the Mac settings.

I am working on a PC and those settings available in the Mac version of the .mov export settings are not available on my PC. So you know which ones I mean, they are Animation, BMP, Cinepak, Component Video, etc. The only settings available to me on my PC in the export window are sound settings (24-bit integer, ALaw 2:1, etc.), but there is not even a drop down for the video compressors.

I have limited access to the Macs in my office, so I was wondering if you could please tell me if PCs actually have access to video compression codecs on .mov export. Is it because I need to install something on my PC?

The reason I ask is, I heard it is best to export Flash animations to .mov using the "Animation" compression setting. I'd like to try this but I don't have it on my PC, is there a PC equivalent to "Animation" and the other codecs listed on the Mac? I don't understand why the Mac and PC export settings appear so different.

Thanks to anyone who can explain the difference between the Mac and PC export settings (.mov). I just want to be able to get decent control over the compression on PC just like if I did it on the Mac.

Jessica

It's not a difference of Mac vs. PC per se - it's all about the codecs available on your system. Since you are on a Windoze system you may have the .wmv codecs.

To get the other "mac" codecs you could install the QT Player. Flash will work with any codec you have on your system, it just has to be there as a component of some other software.

You may want to install Real Player as well.

Ok, that's good to know. Thank you. But just to be clear, you mean the developer's editions of QuickTime and Real, not the freebie viewers. Installing the developer's editions would automatically make those codecs available to Flash when I export as that file type...

Thanks for the reply
    Jessica

Shouldn't matter. If the codecs are there - they are accessable by Flash. Try installing the consumer versions and do a restart - you'll know right away.