A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Security Flash MX standalone movie?

Security Flash MX standalone movie?

Hi you Flash experts,

I was wondering how secure is my code in a Flash Standalone movie (.exe)??

A SWF file can be decompiled but what about an executable of the same SWF? Can it still be decompiled that easy, or will it be more difficult. So there are no easy of use tools out there to do it.

Why I'm asking this is because I need to build a Flash application that can draw maps from data out of (encrypted) XML files.

As the owner wants to secure this data, so the competitors can't take advantage of it and use the drawing part of the engine together with the data.

Hope you can share some knowledge about this.

Kind regards from Holland,
    Maik

There are free tools that will extract your SWF from the EXE. And there are other tools that will extract your Actionscript and resources from the SWF.

I don't believe you can count on Flash for security of this type.

Humm

Is there anyone who has a lead how to make this more secure. Read: more tricky to decompile. Or hide some parts of the code?

Maik

If you use *********** Jugglor http://www.jugglor.com it will create a new Juggled exe. This may help secure it a little.

XcVbSdRw, you said that exists program to extract swf from exe, standalone.
    Does it refer only to default standalone projector or any exe which includes swf made by 3rd party tool (not wrapper but made with tool based on ocx)?

The exe2swf extractor will only work on Projectors created with Flash, not the ones made with 3rd party tools.

Download a copy of Flash Studio PRO - we have many users making commerical applications which they seel on and they each utilize their own security methods. Check out some of the examples at http://www.multidmedia.com/downloads and http://ww.multidmedia.com/showcase

I hope this helps

Thanks Gambini, I feel better now.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Don't get feeling too much better! All the third applications (so far) extract the files you bundle to the temp directory at runtime. This exposes them so that it takes even less work than using exe2swf to swipe them...

Left Wing Pinko
    I rember the good old days, where copyright laws were valid

Yes Northcode, I know that, but for example in both programs, SWF Studio and Flash Studio you can delete the main swf after extracting it in temp folder. With your program using FileSys2 plugin as you already described once and with FlashStudio using extract and delete commands.
    I hope that leaving exe intact and deleting main swf from temp folder should be enough in basic fisical security term.