A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anything wrong with sending a 300dpi Maximum Quality set to 100 .jpg to print?

Anything wrong with sending a 300dpi Maximum Quality set to 100 .jpg to print?

Hey all..

Everytime I ever try to give any print shop a .jpg they freak out. It's not some .72 dpi thing I pulled off a web page.

it's a custom created ad, graphic, sign, whatever that was taken from the original photoshop file (created by me at 300dpi) and then saved off as a .jpg but using the maximum quality.

I can't tell a difference between that and a .tif, but it of course lowers the file size down significantly ..

anyway..

opinions??
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

I think that most printers are shy of jpegs because too many people out there don't know how to save them. I've sent jpegs to printers before without a problem. Just make sure you don't use the save for web feature in photoshop – that will drop it down to 72dpi.
    ellin

u can use 72 dpi jpegs if eg you have them placed in a picture box in quark scaled at 25% or less (4 x 72 dpi = 288)

but as ellin says most printers are wary of them, i tend to stick to tiff's just to keep them happy, for the cost of a CD and a few stamps

pdfs might be worth looking into or isdn (quite cheap now)

bp

Tif's Vs Jpg's

A tiff is a printing file, that’s why there a larger file size because they still have all the print information for the printers. A Jpeg is a Web image with Screen Information for viewing on your screen. That’s the old school reason, but I think that jpeg’s have come a long way since then because of the growth of the web. So it doesn't really make much difference, but you will get better looking print outs off a Tiff file. Although I can’t tell the difference between a 300dpi tiff and a 300dpi Jpeg.

I disagree, there is no difference unless you don't keep opening and resaving the jpeg, that is when loss occurs. You will get identical prints from a 300dpi jpeg and a 300 dpi tiff.
    ellin

To be honest I couldn't tell the differance either. But Tifs are for print and jpegs are for the web. but what i want to know is where did they come from??

Sorry ellin there is a difference, jpg are RGB and tiff are CMYK. Jpg's are designed to be viewed on a monitor using RGB. Red Green Blue shades of light to display color. Any print shop will use a CMYK Cyan, Magenta, Yellow & Black ink to mix the colors for print.

You'll also notice that RGB's have a higher Gamut than CYMK. Meaning there is alot more color range with RGB. So you run the risk of printers displaying colors incorrectly when printing a jpeg. Because certain colors are out of Gamut. This esp becomes noticable with skin tones. Some will come out looking to pink or to orange.
    Wash My Dirty Mouth

Being a pre-press agent for a print shop I'd have to agree with ellin. The printshop is freaking out probably because they have had problems with poor quality jpegs and decided to ban them completely. We don't ban them here but we have had problems from time to time with poor quality jpegs and it can be extremely anoying. That being said. I saw someone asking for an explanation of the whole tiff vs jpeg deal so let me break it down.

Both tiffs and jpegs can be rgb, cmyk, or greyscale. Tiffs can also be bitmap which is essentially black and white line art but you should use a vector format for this instead (if possible).

Jpegs usually come in rgb and 72dpi because, like discs mentioned earlier, the format was intended to be used on the web.

Tiffs come in either rgb or cmyk and at various resolutions depending on what stage of the printing process you are involved in. (note it is generally better to do photoshop work in rgb and only convert to cmyk when preparing to go to press - this is because, like mega pointed out rgb has a higher gamut which means it hold more color info which helps protect image quality).

The biggest diffenence comes during the saving when compression or lack there of is involved.

Jpegs use a lossy compression which means that it actually changes the pixels of the image to compress. This leads to the creation of "artifacts" in the image and therefore degrades the image quality. However this probably won't be noticeable if the image is saved at 100% quality and 300dpi and isn't enlarged too much when it is printed. It's still there though and like ellin said if you resave too much it will eventually show through.

Tiff's on the other hand either uses no compression or lossless compression which leaves your pixels unchanged. For that reason and the fact that they seemed to be a more "durable" format then other formats is why tiffs are pretty much a standard in the printing industry.

Hope this helps,
    -matt