A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Splash or not to Splash

To Splash or not to Splash

I recently caught a bit of flack for my splash page from another designer. Not necessarily for the design, but for having a splash page at all. My personal opinions on splash pages is that they are not necessary, but it is like - When you go into someones home, you enter through the front door. That is the idea here.

Let's hear some opinions on splash pages. I want to hear for and against arguments. And I want to hear valid and intelligent points. I know people have them.
    FrequeNC
    www.theartofevolution.com

personally i dont like them, if u are going to do one (think small and do a skip button) if its for a client then go with the money

i cant remember the name but i saw one 3.5 meg (just the intro) it was v nice but...

if it were a shop, and u had to climb over 14 boxes, 7 crates and 2 old women fighting to get a coffee where would u go ?

there is a fine line between being good and being functional

i used to live in the 56k world (still test there)

bp

Very valid points. I still do live in the 56k world

Splash pages that are too big are useless, I agree, it is the content and purpose of the page. Thanks.

www.testpilotcollective.com A new splash page every day for the last two years or so. It was a Mike Cina project, so you got to give it respect. Sometimes I go check it out just to see what they have posted. I think i will go there now as a matter of fact...
    FrequeNC

a splashpage is like so late 90's

i think it's ok to use them for informing users about the site, do they need flashplayer, what browser to use, etc.

splash for the sake of splash is bad.. it's like having an intro and telling nothing..
    Last edited by sense; 06-11-2003 at 03:05 AM.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Unless you need a bunch of silly plugins or a reason to 'stop' the user, I say go right to the goods.
    Yet as I say that, every major award winning studio I can think of usually has a splash.

a tad bit outa subject...
    but why Media Whore (just askin about the poetry behind it)

Ha ha ha... Media Whore... What a truly excellent question...

Just kidding. I think that the word "whore" sounds blatant, just in its context, (that has no relevance to why I used it but more-so an observation) but it just derives from my attitude about the internet,(and my reckless abandoned of a love affair with my computer). I only first touched a computer 4 years ago, and after I started surfing the web, my main interest lie in watching f*cked up videos, and seeing how many "shock" pictures that I could find. I am over that now, but I found a love in digital design, and basically, my "media whore" attitude lead me to set up my site, (www.theartofevolution.com) A place where people could show their work, (kind of like being the host at a party... ) Anything and everything is welcome there, I love video and animation, and the stranger the better. People need to think, and art that makes me think does it for me...

Now back to my subject, (or my post might get moved to the "promote your own site" category

very valid points made here, but what about art for arts sake. You don't need a splash page to let a user know what plug-ins he needs, there are detection scripts which I think are a better idea in that regard, the main idea being, if a person is too thick to not know they don't have the flash player, or something, (that is the one we are really talking about 99% of the time now aren't we) then I better do the job to let their dumb *ass know by directing them to a page telling them to get their *ss in gear!

Eyenovation made the point that every award winning design studio in the world has a splash. Now why do you think that is? (I don't know, I am honestly asking, why do you think that is?!

And who or what the hell is this thing anyway --->
    Last edited by FrequeNC; 06-11-2003 at 10:33 AM.
    FrequeNC

My little statement I go by....

Someone is going to your site for a reason. That reason (Most likely) is to obtain information. Having a splash simply is a waste of time (Under most circumstances). I'd just make a splash and put it in your portfolio rather than using it.

And one more thing. saying that splash pages are so 90's is like... soooooooo 2001. come on now. Anyone that designs splash pages to tell the user what browser to use or what screen res to set his monitor to has a better chance of convincing us that Michael Jackson has not had plastic surgery.

My site has some "recommended" specs that state what best resolution the site holds. It is designed to look good on all resolutions, even 800X600 - I would never honestly expect anyone to change their monitor res. I know that I never would - (So I guess that I have just convinced myself not to include that on my next splash page )

But my main point being - It is design. A good splash page will not turn a visitor away, and it has a lot to say about style. I believe that it truly adds to the experience of a web site. If you think I am being idealistic by saying that a website is an experience, we all have opinions of a site whether concious or not - that IS the experience.
    FrequeNC

what can I say...it's ummm.....appropriately poetic
    Media Whore!!

Don't take this the wrong way Raven,

but you said that splash pages are a waste of time because people are coming to your site for a reason. Why then would you have an animation that would make people wait, just to tell them that your new site is launching soon? Isn't that the same as having a splash page (technically) Just food for thought.
    FrequeNC

the link doesn't work by the way to the version one of your site Raven
    FrequeNC

Why tinonetic? and by the way, just because I am a whore doesn't mean that I am easy. I am having another beer and then going to bed
    FrequeNC

Originally posted by FrequeNC
    Anyone that designs splash pages to tell the user what browser to use or what screen res to set his monitor to has a better chance of convincing us that Michael Jackson has not had plastic surgery.
    i never told you i did that, did i.

only splashpage i ever made is this one http://www.alphahotel.be
    and it's there for a reason..

all others can shove.. do as you like.. make one or not.

it's freedom of choice. i think there isn't such statement as splashpages are wrong or splash pages are good.

if you use one just make sure to use it wisely. let it add to the design not distract.

what i ment by so 90's is the fact i used to look at everyone of them back then.
    now first thing i search for is that damn 'enter' button.

same goes for intro's.

looks like they are as contemporary as all other design trends.
    some keep using them and some will give up.

now i would like to reffer to my earlier statement "if you use one just make sure to use it wisely."

Thanks for letting me know that the link does not work, FrequeNC! Much appreciated

I understand what you mean about my launching soon page, and somewhat agree with you. However you can still access some content via the links below. However yes, with what you said about accessing the content immediatley and me animating it so you have to wait is kind of contradicting myself.

However this is a launching soon page and for a real web page I probably would not do so (Even though I was thinking about doing it for a while).

But yes, a very good point made.

Don't get all upset Sense. I was just poking fun at the sooooo 90's thing. That was a joke.

And so was the Michael Jackson deal.
    You said -

it's ok to use them for informing users about the site, do they need flashplayer, what browser to use, etc. which kind of sounds commanding, you know, "telling people what browser to use..." I understand what you meant by it, but I don't think you understand why I started this thread. I don't necessarily think that splashes are good nor bad, they definitely can be abused, I have seen some of those..., we all have, but I just want to hear peoples intelligent opinions about the for or against of them. No offense to anyone. I think my point is fairly valid though that they are an extension of the site and can influence the experience for the better if designed well.

Good on you Raven, I am gonna check the site again now.
    FrequeNC

Originally posted by FrequeNC
    Why tinonetic? and by the way, just because I am a whore doesn't mean that I am easy. I am having another beer and then going to bed
    ...not the intended implication...

splash pages are supposed to give an option. If your site is just one, and you have no different versions you want to show, then get rid of it.

in your case frequenC, i wouldn't have a splash page. it is not practical given the fact your site is mono-option. wahtever you say in your splash page is not going to change the user's will to hit the enter button ... i didn't notice your settings recommendations.. just thought they were the typical stylish text that says nothing, until i read it on the board

Do you honestly think that is a valid argument? I don't think it is a very strong argument to say that you have to have two versions of the site to warrant a splash page.

I agree that:

1) No one will change their settings to adhere to my "recommended settings" I know that I wouldn't. It does not hurt to list plugins that are needed to view the site, (Latest quicktime, flash, Real Player, Whatever, just for those multimedially challenged. I stated that the site is best viewed with broadband, being that the content is larger file, still accessible via 56k, but ideal with faster connections, I think a valid point, just to be aware of.)

2) It does not give the viewer any specific information (other than that stated above) BUT

I still have not heard a rebuttle to my point;

That a good splash page is an extension of the experience of the site. Can you honestly say Nayades that it detracts from the site? Whether concious or not of having an experience whilst on a web site, it happens, opinions are formed based on the visuals that are taken in, and my point being that (without trying to repeat myself too much) is that the splash is like the front door, the first thing that a person sees, and possibly with an advantage, it has the ability to load quickly and make an initial impact. It lays the groundwork for the whole design of the site. Possibly for more commercially based sites they may not be appropriate, by I am a designer, and like many others appreciate the aesthetics of a site. Which car would you prefer to ride in, a Porsche, or a Pinto. They both will get you there right?

Here are a few sites to back my point.

www.simian.nu
    www.2advanced.com
    www.favoritewebsiteawards.com
    www.bukwild.com
    www.fictionpixel.com
    www.testpilotcollective.com
    www.seasonsrecordings.com
    www.123klan.com (I only list this one because although it does link to their previous version, the reason they have it up is just for style, my point exactly. They could easily wait until the new site is ready and then launch that instead of having a well designed "under construction" page.)
    FrequeNC

some sites are good with splash pages, some arent.

for example, a site like http://www.designiskinky.net/ that is made to show off design work, is an allright use of a splash page because its a nice little intro to the site and most people that visit it like design, and wouldnt mind looking at a design before they enter.... however something like www.google.com having a splash page would just detract, because people only go for one reason, to use it to get what they want, quickly.

also, using a splash page to load the main page and give the viewers something to read/look at during that time, is another good use of it.

it alll depends.