A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Splash or not to Splash

i also find the www.widegroup.net splash
    page quite neat...

if (implemented well)
    {
    it kinda beckons the user to enter the site.
    }
    else if(graphics are poor OR site is slow loading)
    {
    user=frustrated
    user.never_return();
    }

...I think u'all kinda get the "syntax" of my point

lol!
    Last edited by tinonetic; 06-13-2003 at 03:44 AM.

tinonetic,

your attitude = many sounds jubilating from my mouth;

I dig the splash page - very modern and "apple mac translucent glass style" Click the multimedia button and see how it says, " loading experience". I rest my case about web site as experience.

Big_K: point stated well. My site is aimed at designers, so as of your criteria (DIK (I love that site) my splash is warranted)

I see your point of giving users something to read with your "a warm place" but (I loved the site) the links in the flash file didn't work for me (except the sound controls)
    FrequeNC
    www.theartofevolution.com

your attitude = many sounds jubilating from my mouth;
    frequenc
    Last edited by tinonetic; 06-13-2003 at 07:17 AM.

Originally posted by FrequeNC

Big_K: point stated well. My site is aimed at designers, so as of your criteria (DIK (I love that site) my splash is warranted)
    i think the above mentioned statement is a bit overrated

no offence.. but what has a splash with some site specs and a enter button got to do with design?

DiK splashes are pieces of art, yours isn't (don't take this in a bad way, you knwo what i mean)

ignorance is bliss

Excuse me Sense, but i do take offense to what you say; what has my site got to do with design? Thought went into the creation of the page to create a mood and style. If you do not like the design, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but to say that it is not design at all is ignorant. Design is art. Art is design. To the clothes that you wear, to the table that you eat from, the bed you sleep on, and the computer that you are sitting in front of; All at some point had someone plan how it would come together and have a functionality. That is design, and it is everywhere.

What do an enter button and site specs have to do with design? They are the functional aspects of that pages design layout. "DiK splashes are pieces of art, yours isn't"; that is entirely subjective based on your opinion. I can handle the fact if you don't like my splash. (or my site for that matter) but don't be ignorant on what goes on around you.

To quote from this months issue of Desktop Magazine (an Australian design mag)

"The phrase, 'design is everywhere' has to be the understatement of the millinium. 'Design is everything' would be nearer the mark. Absolutely everything we see and touch is a product of human design, right down to the ground we walk on. We wipe our bottoms on design, sleep on it, wear it, eat it, waste it, write on it, have sex with it... Reeling off a long list of exapmles to illustrate my point would be too easy..."

and then the author goes on to talk about challenging the user to find something in his/her life that is in no way related to design whatsoever...

case closed.
    FrequeNC

Re: ignorance is bliss

Originally posted by FrequeNC
    and then the author goes on to talk about challenging the user to find something in his/her life that is in no way related to design whatsoever...

case closed.

ummm.. grass? water? the sky? my hands?

Yes, you have hit on the subject, nature, but take a look at nature,

where at in the world does man not have his hand in the control of all these elements somewhere (except remote locations such as the african plains, the mountain tops of the himalayas, etc.)

The grass - whether in your backyard, or in a public park, (some would argue the design aspect of this, but I personally would count lanscaping as a design - it is modifying our surroundings for our pleasure) the grass was either placed, or is maintained by mowing and trimming,

the water - in a public pool, I think you can see the obvious intervention in a situation like that, but say in a natural environment, like a lake, or something - at somepoint it may have come from a dam that was built for the purpose of storing water.

My point being, that things do exist that have no relation to design. They are found in nature. i was just trying to bring to the fore-front an idea that design goes deeper than people realize.

would you agree to that?
    Even in the situation say for a dam, it may be ugly to look at, but the design is still there. It is functional design, not aesthetic design. If it had been designed to look pretty, it may not serve its purpose correctly...
    FrequeNC

i completely agree that design is much more abumdant than most people realize... i just thought you were stating that there was NOTHING left that hadnt been designed by humans

we are in agree-ance
    FrequeNC

sorry... i took it way too personal..

but i meant DiK splashes are pieces of art and add to the feel of the site.

a splash with site specs can hardly be called art, it may fit in your description of design, wich i liked and totally agree with but is IMO no artwork.

i was only trying to make clear that from my point of view this statement by you isn't true.

Bigk...My site is aimed at designers, so as of your criteria (DIK (I love that site) my splash is warranted)
    Last edited by sense; 06-14-2003 at 12:26 PM.

i beleive all these are opinions...

sense- i'm not the one who said that

yup.. noticed.. changed it.

Let us look at exactly what was said.

I quote Big_K from earlier:
    some sites are good with splash pages, some arent.

for example, a site like http://www.designiskinky.net/ that is made to show off design work, is an all right use of a splash page because its a nice little intro to the site and most people that visit it like design, and wouldnt mind looking at a design before they enter....

There is no mention of "art" here. (as that i get the idea from you that "art" is different than design, which is where I disagree. They are one in the same. Art is a big part of design. (Poop wiped on a wall could be called art to some people.http://www.art4d.com/back/60/sensation.html) there is some pretty strange stuff going on out there.

Now let's revisit my quote
    My site is aimed at designers, so as of your criteria (DIK (I love that site) my splash is warranted)
    meaning that, people that come to my site like design. It is a house FOR design. People who come to my site like to see design. That is why I made that statement and I can not believe you can not make the connection. Just because my site has some site specs on it, and DIK's doesn't does not change any fact of the matter that they both are "art"

I am not trying to get in a pissing match, I know you are entitled to your opinion, so that is all I will say. I just think you need to open your mind a bit about the boundaries of what art is. Thanks to everyone for the feedback as well.

Tinonetic, you are a man of few words. speak softly, and carry a big stick...
    FrequeNC

I think when users don't have to make a choice out of versions (languages) a common splash page is anoying and obsolete.

But I make one for every project. (or must I say a HTML intro page) Why? Because flash sites don't come up in search engines and meta tags don't do much nowadays. So I put some text with lot's of important keywords on my first page and a small graphic.

Even some major design companies out there only use graphics for their splash/intro pages, even for sites only made in flash. Not too clever in my opinion.

So make splash pages untill search engines catch up. But don't put only nice graphics on them! Use a lot of text, yeah I know, it screws up your design.

...this thread is still open?

I still say: "To splash!!!!!"