dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: teaching community classes

Hybrid View

teaching community classes

I was wondering anyone here has found teaching community classes such as "how to build a web page" or "how to use Flash" often leads to extra business opportunities through contacts made from the class?
    aviarts.com - web development and flash development

Re: teaching community classes

Originally posted by hp3
    I was wondering anyone here has found teaching community classes such as "how to build a web page" or "how to use Flash" often leads to extra business opportunities through contacts made from the class?
    Not really. I teach two different classes, and i find it's like being one of the senior members here in the boardroom. Many of the people that you come into contact with are new comers looking for work themselves.

I've met a few business owners who want to learn the tools to do it themselves, and if they are trying to cut corners that way, they probably can't afford to, or wouldn't want to, hire me.

But don't let that stop you from teaching if you have the opportunity. I've found that teaching has really made me think about Flash and helped me understand it better.

d.
    dlowe93

thanks for the note. You confirmed my suspicions that folks who take classes are not likely looking for professional help.

I suppose it is another way to make some money on the side. Is the payout worth your while?

Originally posted by hp3
    I suppose it is another way to make some money on the side. Is the payout worth your while?
    Surprisingly, it helps. It's nice to have check that you can rely on, however small, to get you through the spots where you can bill on the real projects. Plus, it's something that i really enjoy, so it's not like "another job" to pay the bills.

One thing i didn't mention, is that it has helped me network professionally with the other working design teachers. Most have their own skill set which doesn't include Flash, and it always helps to have more people out there who think of you as their "go-to" Flash guy.

d.
    dlowe93

do you think there are different "levels" of community classes, with some being better situations to be involved with than others?

for example in my area there are several institutions offering community classes.

public school career development center
    local colleges and universities
    comp usa store

I havent contacted any of these though I have taught community classes through the local university (MIDI and electronic music not web technology). So I do not know if they are all comparable or if some pay more or have larger classes etc.

do you have any observations on this?

Originally posted by hp3
    do you think there are different "levels" of community classes, with some being better situations to be involved with than others?

for example in my area there are several institutions offering community classes.

public school career development center
    local colleges and universities
    comp usa store
    I'm sure there are. I have taught at both public community college and private art school, and it's a different feel.

Both here in Oregon and in California, the community college systems are excellent. You get a real mix of students who are looking to move on to a four-year program and students who have a more vocational approach, and want to get a job right away.

When i taught a course at the art school, it did pay a little better, but it was a much different feel. It may have just been the class, but there was a much bigger range in the skill and seriousness of the student. It surprised me, but the community college students were all about the same level, with maybe one or two who really didn't have a chance, and one or two who stood out. The art school crowd was all over the place. Weird.

d.
    dlowe93